5 pounds in a week, anyone able to do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    Just wondering if it's even possible.

Yes, possible, majority of times when someone does this, most of the loss is not fat but water weight. Guess what happens when you eat normally afterward?

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible in some of the cases others have mentioned, but you shouldn't overexert yourself to try to make it happen. If it does, it will likely be water weight. Depending on height, weight, etc, your calorie deficit necessary to lose 5 lbs (not including water weight) could be outrageous.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh come on, it completely depends how much you have to lose in the first place and its way above normal. If you have loads to lose because you are morbidly obese and its at the beginning then you might get some bigger losses at the beginning, but its usually just water.

You cna ofc starve yourself for crash weight loss, but why would you wnat to do that? You should be interested in safe weight loss practice not unhealthy ones. That way you can keep the weight off and not encourage others into unsafe practice.
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I lost 5, then 2 pounds last week. I'm on a 24 day challenge. I cut out weekday booze, crappy carbs and am under 2000 calories a day. I worked out 5 times that week riding a bike at a good pace for about an hour each time (800+ calories). I worked out 6 times last week, 5 bike rides like before and a 50 minute strength training workout.

Won't happen every week, but it does happen occasionally.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Aren't you the girl with the thread about how you want to stay "thick" so you will not lose your curves? How did you go from wanting to stay overweight to now wanting to lose extremely fast in just a few days?
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I lose 5-7 usually the first week I start working out doing something more cardio based..like when I did Insanity/P90X. Pretty sure it's just water weight and not any "real" fat loss.
  • edellaSut
    edellaSut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been LCHF for about 10 years, but remain very carb intolerant and not very sensitive to insulin, so I had great difficulty losing any weight, I started a VLCHF diet (nutritional ketosos), as a serious injury on the bottom of my heel meant no exercie, so many problems with edema and HBP as well: I wanted the weight off as fast as possible, for health, not looks. To my delight, once I got under 10-20g of CHO daily, the weight did start to go. The usual watery whoosh at the beginning of course. But I'm very glad that I did something smarter than usual, namely to weigh myself once a month, to note current weight and re-calculatr my protein requirements for the next month. When you do this, you can see the process in action over a longer time period and aren't so stressed because of the inevitable ups and downs. I did peep (naturally!) after two weeks, and had lost a stone (uk-speak for 14 pounds), so wow! But when I checked at the end of the month, the total weight loss averaged out to just a bit over the boring old recommended 1-2 pounds a week. And a few months later, this sensible loss continues, and I don't have any festoons of flesh left where fat and water has gone away. So I think slow, steady and more sensible is better, after all, you didn't gain all your weight in a week!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I lost 5 pounds my first week
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    The most I've lost in a week was 7 pounds but I was over 270 and it was the first week (Maybe second) of cutting calories and logging and working out. Since then, I lose roughly 0-2 pounds a week depending on a number of factors.

Lol! I read this too fast and thought it said: "depending on the number of tacos." And I thought... yeah, number of tacos would play a role in weight loss....
  • healthyfit125
    healthyfit125 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds the week I went backpacking 100 miles on the pacific crest trail, hiking 20 miles a day and eating as many cliff bars and dried fruit/nuts as I could. It is possible!