Insanity drop outs

Options
mcibty
mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
Are there any willing to admit they quit? What were your reasons? What did you do instead?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i had a week off half way through month 2 as i was burnt out/fed up of it, but after that i got it done!

i LOVE insanity (apart from the week i didnt want to do it, obviously!!)
  • Majda_
    Majda_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I quit but I started insanity and then got a 50% on a gym subscription for a month to try Les Mills programs and so did that. Now the weather is too nice to workout at work so I am waiting for the fall to start Insanity again !
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ill admit it! I dropped out after a few days. I was doing it at home. I was so out of shape I was winded within the first few minutes and unable to keep up. Instead I joined the gym and went regularly. Now that I'm I. A little better shape than I was when I tried the first time, I am going to try again!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I finished Insanity the first time I did the program, but I dropped out the second and third time.

My reason for both drop outs is the same. This program is murder on the knees...

When I do the workouts without following the program to a T, my knees are OK cause I can recover. Doing the program on a daily basis doesn't allow adequate recovery and I messed up my left knee. So I refuse to ever do the whole program again. I just incorporate the workouts into my current routine (which only has 2 days of cardio each week) and my knees are fine.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    nope
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I watched a you tube session on insanity... and went straight back to my wii fit. I do wii fit yoga and barre3 online sessions. I wear a nike fuel band and set my calories at "sedentary". I eat back between 50 and 100% of my "activity" calories. My goal is to train to be able to attend the adult amatuer ballet class with the Houston Ballet. I walk a lot and utilize the Galleria Mall and Downtown Houston Tunnels so weather is never an issue.

Now that I am in year two of my healthy lifestyle, I may reconsider insanity as a 28 day challenge in addition to my "sustainable" training at some point in the future. I am inching my way up on activity and training.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Similar to another post, I had ankle issues. I was in good shape as well. I also feel it has inadequate recovery. I had a lot of leg strength from a long history of cycling, but, the jumping around did me in.

I lift heavy with no issues.
  • mcibty
    Options
    I agree, the constant jumping is killing my legs. That, and I am just not a fast mover to keep up with the drills. Even if I take it at my own pace, I start rushing myself to keep up with it. I've only done three days, and I actually enjoyed 2 of those. When my legs are better I'm thinking of trying again, but doing it 2-3 days a week as well as gym/running/other things, so it doesn't consume my whole life for 60 days.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I have not done Insanity, as from all I've seen and heard about it, it doesn't look like something I would like.

But I want to congratulate all of you for listening to your body and deciding that Insanity wasn't for you. Just because a fitness program is popular, that doesn't mean it's for everyone. A friend of mine pulled a muscle doing Insanity because she was trying to keep up with the people on the DVD and "dig deep" even though she was exhausted.

I go to a boot camp classes at a local gym. We have a coach that walks around the room to make sure everyone is using correct form so they won't get injured. When people do an intense fitness program at home from a set of DVDs, they don't have anyone to tell them to take a break and/or do a modification when they are slipping out of form.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I completed Insanity. Then I took a week off and then went straight back into it - not a good idea. My knees definitely needed a break. I think Insanity really helped me with a lot of things, but it is good to change it up a little. So 3 weeks into my second round of Insanity I quit and started doing something else.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I got six weeks in then went away for a little over two weeks. Got back and jumped straight back in where I left off. Broke myself, hamstring went.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    i fully completed insanity, all 63 glorious (not) days of it. I can understand why ppl drop out, it's no freaking joke!
    I did, however, drop out of Insanity Asylum.... I hate that program! The videos were boring and i just did not enjoy it. I am now doing ChaLean Extreme and I LOVE IT!
  • jlw1cc
    jlw1cc Posts: 6
    Options
    Yep. I managed to do 6 weeks before I stopped. A combination of reasons; knees, time/work pressure and boredom.

The high impact was killing my poor knees, left one especially. I was having to modify so many of the exercises it was really affecting my motivation. I also found that I had no energy to do anything else - I really missed my regular classes at the gym, working out on my own at silly o'clock in the morning before work just wasn't the same. I also hit a stressful busy time at work and that didn't help.

So after 6 weeks I stopped and have since gone back to classes, and throw in the odd insanity workout at home when I can. I've also been doing some 30DS too.

I think I may give insanity a go again one day, although I'm still pretty impressed I did 6 weeks, and I really did notice my fitness improve and toned up a lot while doing it. It's not all bad :)
  • mcibty
    Options
    I have not done Insanity, as from all I've seen and heard about it, it doesn't look like something I would like.

But I want to congratulate all of you for listening to your body and deciding that Insanity wasn't for you. Just because a fitness program is popular, that doesn't mean it's for everyone. A friend of mine pulled a muscle doing Insanity because she was trying to keep up with the people on the DVD and "dig deep" even though she was exhausted.

I go to a boot camp classes at a local gym. We have a coach that walks around the room to make sure everyone is using correct form so they won't get injured. When people do an intense fitness program at home from a set of DVDs, they don't have anyone to tell them to take a break and/or do a modification when they are slipping out of form.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Me! I am a quiter! I find it so boring. I just need to come to terms with the fact that I hate all exercise DVDs. I would much rather go for a run or to the gym.
  • simplythebaz
    simplythebaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got through 3 weeks of it, then had a 40 mile off road mountain bike event to complete, and that threw me out of sync. When I tried to get going again, other things started getting in the way, and I had lost the discipline of doing it daily.

I really enjoyed it, although it was hard (I wasn't able to finish most workouts) and I did have to watch my back during the burpees, as I am quite tall and overweight, and my core isn't the best at the moment, but I definitely felt much better for doing it. I'm now training for a half marathon in October, and will try Insanity again after that, when the weather is cold and dark again and I don't feel like being outdoors so much.
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I dropped out after 2 weeks. I thought I was in good enough shape to fight through it but I wasn't. Will try it again after I drop another 30 lbs.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I actually quit Insanity twice before my 3rd-time-charm finish....
    Yes...it's physically exhausting, but you have to be "mentally" prepared for it too. The 1st time i believe I got through about a week, then I let excuses get in the way (too tired from work....it's too late at night to do it)....the 2nd time I just "quit" after about 2 weeks in...really had no excuse as of why (lazy i guess :grumble: )
    But like they always say....the 3rd time's a charm! I started it and finished with great results! ( even after having to take a week off per doctor's orders).
    I'm actually starting my 2nd round of it today! I love it! I encourage anyone who's doing it to not drop out...it works...it gets your body ready for many challenges (I can run about 4.5 miles now with no problem). It got me in the best shape of my life! So if you're just starting...or halfway through it....DIG DEEP and finish! You won't regret it....
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Me! I am a quiter! I find it so boring. I just need to come to terms with the fact that I hate all exercise DVDs. I would much rather go for a run or to the gym.

This is me too. I prefer lifting things and running from things. Ok, not really running FROM things, but still running.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I managed two weeks, it was too long a workout for me and I was constantly taking breaks from it.

I stuck to Jillian Michaels as the workouts aren't as intense but still get results.