When to exercise after general I've-never-done-this-before pain

Options
adriennel502
adriennel502 Posts: 72 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
In a burst of MFP inspired enthusiasm, I tried Day one of Couch to 5K on Saturday. Now I have never run before (except when forced to back in school and I loathed every minute of it). Plus, I have a form of muscular dystrophy that has atrophied most of my lower leg muscles. I can walk because I still have the upper, weight bearing muscles. So my "running" is not like other people's. Up until now, walking has been my excercise. Never the less, I gathered my courage, put on appropriate gear, hopped on my treadmill (at home) and gave it my all. I did the appropriate warm up and cool down and stretches and everything. But I could feel it and I knew I was going to pay for it the next day.

I did. Sunday I spent yelping everytime I moved my legs, sat down or stood up. But today is much better - oh, I can still feel it but a lot less and I can sit down with out squeaking.

My question is this. When should I do Day 2? I know my muscles are repairing themselves. Today is 2 days after. Should I do it tonight, while I still hurt, or should I wait until tomorrow and just do a light walk tonight instead?

Replies

• aventuramt
    aventuramt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think you should continue walking. And run less and increase gradually. Eat something rich in potassium before exercise. And drink plenty of water. It also helps to take a very warm shower before and after exercise to relax the muscles.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    How awesome for you that you are pushing your fitness!!

For most people, you determine this by level of soreness. You said it feels a lot better, but that can still mean pretty painful! Are your legs sore to the touch? Swollen at all? Or are we just talking stiff/tight? If you push it when you shouldn't, you will be in even worse shape tomorrow! Just in case, I would do a nice light walk to help ease the soreness without adding insult to injury. This was your first time with a new workout, and you have some physical challenges. Better to be safe.

Have you considered a session with a physical therapist or an inclusive fitness trainer? I bet they can give you some guidance on incorporating new exercises safely and effectively. Good luck
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try a moderate walk tonight along with some stretching and a foam roller if you have one. And def consume a lot of water. As you get stronger there will come a time when you will actually miss this pain.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Wait until you no longer hurt. Then try again, but this time much much slower. You want your body to get used to the motion of running. If at first you are "running" slower than you could walk, it is ok.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting!

This was a valuable less on muscle developing. You went too hard. Don’t beat yourself up, it is a very, very common event.

I would drop back down to walking for a day or two. This will do two things. It will tell your body that lying around isn’t the normal state any more. And the activity will help with the DOMS.

Then, repeat day one again, but this time with tempered enthusiasm. You may still have some DOMS, but it won’t be nearly as intense, and you should be able to continue with the program.

Enjoy!
  • adriennel502
    adriennel502 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys!! I did a light walk, and today I have no pain at all, which is great. So I'm going to keep going, but as Allan said, with "tempered enthusiasm." (I love that). So do it a little more gradually and build up to a full day one. After all I don't have to follow their programme exactly - everyone is different!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys!! I did a light walk, and today I have no pain at all, which is great. So I'm going to keep going, but as Allan said, with "tempered enthusiasm." (I love that). So do it a little more gradually and build up to a full day one. After all I don't have to follow their programme exactly - everyone is different!

Sounds like a great plan, and good for you! I second the suggestion to look into a foam roller, and make sure you do stretch after running and have a properly fitted shoe (like from the Running Room). These three things made a big difference for my running recovery times. Best of luck! :smile: