How many calories do 5'0 - 5'2 women maintain on?

Options
May33338
May33338 Posts: 300 Member
edited April 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've been struggling with figuring out my maintenance calories and would love to know how much each of you are eating to maintain your weight.

Replies

• nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    4'11" (close...) Right around 1600 keeps me within a pound of where I want to be. When I ignore that I creep up a bit over a year or two...then I come back here for a few months and lose it again. :smile:
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not more than 1400, 5'0 @108lbs
  • HelloChampion
    HelloChampion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Isn't MFP supposed to calculate that for you?
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Maybe OP can't believe how little MFP is suggesting, I neither couldn't believe it at first when it suggested mine!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm much taller... 5'4.5 and around 127 now. MFP says I should maintain on 1650 (sedentary). However, I only burn off on average 300 calories a day with intentional exercise. I've been focusing on lifting with running dispersed throughout the week. So let's just say 1850-1900. I've been eating around 2000-2100 with some much higher days (I'm doing TDEE now). It's been 6ish weeks since I've been maintaining and I've lost 6 lb. so I'm working on upping the calories. (I started maintaining at 133).

Point of the story... Start with what it says and keep going up from there. You may be pleasantly surprised that you can maintain on more!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    five three, 46 years old, 123 lb, and 1440 calories. That's before exercise though. I know it's hard to believe how little we're allotted. I say hit the gym hard so you get to actually eat a bit.
  • leximarie3
    leximarie3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    5'2, 110-112lbs and 2 years maintenance. I consume 1200-1600 calories. I exercise 4-5 days a week. I do have some days where I go over (1800ish). For me, if I eat more calories than that, the weight starts creeping up on me. You just have to find a calorie range that works for you! ;)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    5 foot exactly. 100 lbs. I stand for my job - lightly active. I work out about 5 hours a week. I just adjusted to 1900 - 2000 calories a day (it was a little less than that but I keep seeing 98 or 99 on the scale a little more often than I would like).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    May33338 wrote: »
    I've been struggling with figuring out my maintenance calories and would love to know how much each of you are eating to maintain your weight.

Scoobys TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) ...this will also include exercise you intend to do and average it out for the week

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• bkolegraff
    bkolegraff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are a several decent Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculators on the web. Some allow for more input than others. But, a good one will take your height, weight, age, sex, and general fitness and tell you what your body needs just to exist. Not sure if this helps, but typing is good exercise for my fingers!!

• MochiCupcake
    MochiCupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0, 110lbs, very sedentary... I maintain on 1400-1500 a day unless exercising.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options

The MFP calorie calculations are an estimate based on the "average" metabolisms of people who are the same gender, age, height, etc...but some people are going to have a slower or faster metabolism than the averages MFP uses. For example, I seem to lose weight faster than they predict the "average" 44 year old female will and I suspect this is because I never had kids and also because I (unfortunately) smoke cigarettes.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    May33338 wrote: »

Scoobys TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) ...this will also include exercise you intend to do and average it out for the week

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    @TeaBea Thank you so much for posting this link! The estimates given by this calculator are VERY close to what I've found to be true for my metabolism and I've bookmarked it for future reference!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 27 years old, 130 pounds and I have PCOS. I maintain at 1200. Right now my husband and I are ttc and I haven't ovulated in over a year so my doctor wanted me to bump my calories up to 1600 to 2000 calories...I've been around 1300 to 1400 most days and have gained about 5 pounds in the past month.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and 43. I am a good 60lbs away from needing to know this for myself, but I still feel myself worrying about it in the back of my mind. I can manage 1400-1600cal days right now without getting hangry or sad about not having much food, but I tend to eat 1800-2000 at least one day on the weekend. I'm just not sure I can exercise enough to justify that kind of eating at my goal weight range of 120-130lbs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    5'4" 115 lbs.. maintain at 1250 - 1450..
  • shaniz06
    shaniz06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That really depends on your activity level . At 5'2 I maintain at 1800-1900 but can easily get to 2,300 on a really active day. However if I became sedentary I would probably maintain at 1500-1600.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0", 126 lbs, 37 and pretty active (3 lifting sessions a week and approx 5-8 hrs of roller derby).
    I would eat 2000-2100 calories to maintain, including exercise.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 0", 103 lbs. Currently I am maintaining on about 1870 calories/day. I run between 35-40 miles per week, which I estimate burns about 2800 calories, or 400 calories/day. I do not account for these in my eating, so if I did not run, I would guess my maintenance would be somewhere in the range of 1450-1550.
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'1.5", 128 lbs, 23 years old, 22% BF. I have a sedentary job but run 21-28 miles per week. Currently maintaining on ~2000 calories per day.