Pregnant - advice needed asap!

Options
Hello, so I lost 8lbs so far with MFP but found outlast Monday that we are expecting our first baby! [Very excited, but only early days]. Can anyone advise me on diet during pregnancy? I want to continue a healthy lifestyle but ultimately, do what's best for baby. I've heard horror stories about loosing weight while preganant and it harming baby? HELP!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 or so pounds in my first trimester with my second. I had been doing Adkins. To keep her healthy, I added carbs back in, and then it turned into eating whatever, and I started to gain. I was diagnosed with GD, and started cleaning up my diet to keep her healthy, and I lose a few pounds, then stalled weight loss in the second trimester, then slowly added a few pounds. Talk to your OBGYN. I don't think you need to really add calories until the second trimester, but don't eat at a deficit, either. Eat a variety of healthy foods, and, again, talk to your OBGYN. Congratulations!

Btw, she was born at 38 weeks, 2 or 3 days (my first was 37.5 weeks). She did have mild jaundice and had a few signs of prematurity, but was healthy. Both our blood sugars were fine, she was 5 lbs., 12 oz. (my first was 6 lbs. even). I don't think my early weight loss or middle of the pregnancy weight loss, affected her health at all. But, I wasn't losing massive amounts of weight, either. She is now an energetic, happy, smart 4 year old.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your current health and weight but you only need EXTRA calories above maintenance in your 3rd trimester, and you only need between 300-500 depending on your current weight.

I was very overweight during my pregnancy and lost weight throughout safely eating healthy food. I couldn't not eat when I was hungry because if I didn't I threw up.

Keep your food healthy and pregnancy will be less rough on you hopefully. Oh and Congrats!
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hey hun, Have you ever heard of babyandbump (google it) it's a website for excepting mums/ people trying to conveice etc. Best support i ever had through my pregnancy.

Few girls on there lost weight through the pregnancy and it wasnt just in the first month either. You can also speak to your doctor and get advice from them. Whatever you do you can maintain you healthy eating through pregnancy and gain very little.

Check out that site also for support. My lo is just over 10 weeks old also lol good luck hun xxx

And congratulations xxx
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question last week :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011878-pregnant-need-to-add-calories-help

Congratulations. Feel free to add me as a friend siucne we are in the same boat. I am eating my maintenance calories, I may add 100 if dr advises and tryying to be active to stay fit. I hope to not lose weight during next 9 months but not put any excess on either
  • Eifersucht
    Eifersucht Posts: 34
    Options
    For your safety and the safety of your baby, this is really something you should speak with your doctor about.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am going to the doctor today to get a "yes you are pregnant" so I am in your same boat! But this is my second.

For my first I was like ehh I will eat whatever makes me feel good and I got to 180 by they end of it. EWWW. This time not going to happen. I am eating a well balanced diet with an emphasis on veggies and fruit. You will find that something will turn your stomach, mine was pork, so just adjust to that. Just make sure you are eating more whole foods than processed and keep your calories and exercising moderate. Prenatal yoga is AMAZING. And it will help with your breathing technique for the hospital.

Congrats again and really just try to enjoy your pregnancy. It is really an amazing experience.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to work with your physician regarding dietary needs during pregnancy.
  • missmayeb
    Options
    Oh and go out and buy Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs. You will die laughing. She may make some people cringe but she really hits the nail on the head when it comes to a woman's point of view about pregnancy.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Basically, just eat healthy and stay active! Your doc/midwife can tell you more, but whatever you were doing physically before you can keep on doing. And as for your diet... Just eat healthy foods! If you crave a certain something, go for it. But overall just eat healthy. The standard for weight gain is around 20-25 lbs depending on per preg weight, that said women have healthily gained 80 lbs due to fluid retention. Don't beat yourself up :) this is the time to pamper and enjoy your new body!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your fab news!! When I was pregnant with my first I was already attending SW and my midwife said it was ok for me to continue as it was basically promoting healthy eating and everything in moderation. When I fell pregnant with my second I just trusted my instincts, however I have to be honest I was lucky in that I only put on around 2 stone and it was all baby weight. The important thing is to be healthy for you and your little one and enjoy your pregnancy x
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    For your safety and the safety of your baby, this is really something you should speak with your doctor about.

Agree completely.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to work with your physician regarding dietary needs during pregnancy.

Again, agree.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I did not gain much until the 3rd trimester. I was craving protein during my pregnancies and ate a lot of protein - hamburgers as well as lean protein. And lots of spinach! Healthy babies all around!
  • missmayeb
    Options
    I know you all keep saying talk to your doctors and while that may seem like great advice, most doctors don't always give you tons of information on food/diet/exercise. Mine just said follow a healthy diet and exercise as you normally do. What a load of help that was!

Unless you have had issues getting pregnant or you are a risky pregnancy they pretty much just check you out and you are good to go. Every pregnancy is different and unless you are severely overweight they don't see much justification in giving you tons of information on diet and exercise. Advice from other mothers is where you are going to get the majority of your knowledge on being pregnant. Other mothers have been in the situation and know that you are confused and scared since this is a new experience. Questions like this help calm people down.

Just my two cents as a mother and on my second pregnancy.
  • retailmagpie
    retailmagpie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for understading. I did have my first doctor's appointment yesterday, but as you said - she seemed surprised that I had even asked about diet, she weighed me and I was down 11lbs on the last time they had weighed me, over about 6 months ago, so she decided I was doing the right thing, safely.

She even advised [although was careful to tell me this was not NHS policy] that if I wanted ice cream and chocolate and crisps, to eat them and not worry about it. She said people generally eat better in their 2nd trimester anyway and in the early days - do what keeps me happy. Most likely, that's for my partner's sake, lol.