Gaining weight: Appetite

Options
2»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    This isn't helpful but I wanted to say something I've found weird about my appetite. When I WANT to eat more and put on muscle mass, I have no appetite, but when I want to maintain or lose I always feel hungrier like I wish I could eat. You always want what you "can't have" haha.
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When I look at these threads I see some people that I am sure have health issues. People should not feel bad after eating adequate amounts of healthy food. (It's also a bad sign if people feel 'high' after ordinary meals.) Even if it is primarily psychological, which sounds possible for very few, physical health strongly influences psychological health.

Some terms to look up: gut dysbiosis (aka microbial imbalance), leaky gut (aka intestinal permeability, the medical term), hypochlorhydria, gastroparesis... there's a lot more down the rabbit hole though, because digestion is so complex.

A quick solution is to take digestive enzymes with food. Also, to a lesser degree, to drink water with a little apple cider vinegar before eating. And try bitters as well, these are tinctures of bitter herbs. Gentian, ginger, mint, fennel, etc.

If possible, see a naturopathic doctor or functional medicine MD.