Wrong data !

I have just entered a large latte and under Nutritional data it says I have consumed 0% calcium ! ! Which is blatantly wrong - is this a waste of my time & are we being conned ? ?

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    We are not being conned. Every MFP user has the ability to create database entries, so you have to pay attention to which ones you pick.
  • Create your own entry then or choose one you think is more accurate.
    Not all of the entries are accurate.
    I love MFP and we are defiantly not being conned.
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Yes conned, nobodys is losing weight because they deduct 500 calories throughout your daily intake and trick you into buying their fat loss pills and herbalife sponsors!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    KaneNLN wrote: »
    Yes conned, nobodys is losing weight because they deduct 500 calories throughout your daily intake and trick you into buying their fat loss pills and herbalife sponsors!

Wut?

OP, not all entries are accurate. Here is a guide to try to find the most accurate listing, but keep in mind that for many entries, the micronutrients (vitamins) are going to be wrong:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Users input their own data! Nobody is being conned...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    And 'conned' would suggest that someone was losing money. How much did you pay when you joined MFP, this outrageous rip-off of a site?
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    I wonder if OP is seeing targeted ads for weight loss/diet/fitness products while logging?

I just experimented by turning off AdBlock, but didn't get anything scammy.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I'd wager that most of the data entries are user submitted and have a high inaccuracy rate. I wish we could block all the user submitted entries.
  • Oohhlalalala
    Oohhlalalala Posts: 6 Member
    Oh well, I thought the data was supplied by MFP not the general public. I haven't used this app much & really can't see the point as its not an accurate representation of nutrients or fats or protein or calcium. So what is the point ? ?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Oh well, I thought the data was supplied by MFP not the general public. I haven't used this app much & really can't see the point as its not an accurate representation of nutrients or fats or protein or calcium. So what is the point ? ?

The point is that you can check the entries for accuracy and use them. Even with the user-submitted information, I find this tool much easier to use than another way to help track calories. You may disagree.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    KaneNLN wrote: »

Wut?

OP, not all entries are accurate. Here is a guide to try to find the most accurate listing, but keep in mind that for many entries, the micronutrients (vitamins) are going to be wrong:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

This

You will find the link very helpful
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    You get out what you put in. Put in some effort to log accurately -- it can be done -- set a sensible calorie target, follow your plan, and you'll get pretty good results and data. It's up to you.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    OP is a troll. There called it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    I'd wager that most of the data entries are user submitted and have a high inaccuracy rate. I wish we could block all the user submitted entries.

You'd only have items in the FDA's database then
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member

@beemerphile1
    so you're saying yours are inaccurate as well? ;) Perhaps wording it 'some of the data entries are inaccurate' might be more accurate?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    reverse-1328724228_raccoon_eating_popcorn.gif
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    reverse-1328724228_raccoon_eating_popcorn.gif

Aww, I love me some pet coons <3
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member

@beemerphile1
    so you're saying yours are inaccurate as well? ;) Perhaps wording it 'some of the data entries are inaccurate' might be more accurate?

I said "most are user submitted" and that the the user submitted entries have a "high inaccuracy rate".

I have never made a new submission to the database so my submissions are perfect so far. o:)
  • Oohhlalalala
    Oohhlalalala Posts: 6 Member
    The thing is I don't have a clue about the Calorific value of food or its nutritional value so I don't know which entry is correct - and I don't have time to sift through - I just wanted a quick reliable app that worked and would stop me eating junk food. Simples !
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The thing is I don't have a clue about the Calorific value of food or its nutritional value so I don't know which entry is correct - and I don't have time to sift through - I just wanted a quick reliable app that worked and would stop me eating junk food. Simples !

Don't use the entries marked with asterisks.