Holiday help

Options
I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks and i think i need your help. I've only just started losing again and so far so good, but I can see this holiday getting closer. I'm concerned that when i'm taken away from all my steamed veg and chicken breasts and surrounded by family eating ice cream and restaurant food for a whole week i'll undo all my hard work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not completely derail my progress.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As a seasoned cruiser I have it down to a fine art when on holidays! :smiley:
    Firstly I walk, a LOT!! around 25k/12 miles a day so that lets me eat around 2500 cals easily without gaining.
    I keep an eye on my intake, same as I do at home, I eat everything in moderation but I keep bread to a minimum. I am always aware of what I'm eating, if I taste something e.g dessert and its lovely but not exceptional I just wont finish it, instead it will be just a few mouthfuls of it. That goes for any meal! although the food is always fantastic so I really have to practice moderation.
    I've never gained more than 2lbs whilst on holidays and its always gone within a fortnight :smile:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you explained your food/exercise goals to your family, would they support you and encourage you to make healthier choices for the week, work out with you, etc.? If you can look up restaurants beforehand you'll make better choices. Also, order first so you're less likely to mimic someone else's order if they get something tempting, chug water before the meal, don't be afraid to leave food on your plate & ask for leftovers, try to organize and participate in physical activities - family walks, bike rides, other things.
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you are dining out with others, ask someone if they will split a meal with you. If you order a meal, choose a la carte instead of whole dinners. Oftentimes a restaurant can serve you just a protein and a vegetable. Choose broth type soups rather than creamed ones if available. You will be consuming more salt, so drink a lot more water. Skip the bread baskets and other carbs. Ask for child size desserts or mini ones. Don't let others coach you into more calories than you know you need. Hope this is helpful. Have fun and good luck!
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As a seasoned cruiser I have it down to a fine art when on holidays! :smiley:
    Firstly I walk, a LOT!! around 25k/12 miles a day so that lets me eat around 2500 cals easily without gaining.

I've already planned the exercise part. I'm thinking if i get up before everyone else I can get a few miles walking done before everyone else wakes up. Unfortunately my mum has bad knee's and can't walk for miles so it does mean doing it by myself otherwise she will try to keep up with me and be in pain after it.
    Zara11 wrote: »
    If you explained your food/exercise goals to your family, would they support you and encourage you to make healthier choices for the week, work out with you, etc.?

I have a feeling that if i attempted to do this I'd get the "Oh go on, a little won't hurt" response at last 5 times a day :smile: .

I'm planning on skipping desserts because right now I think if i had some it would send me into binge mode. Skipping the bread though is a great idea, i'll try to use that.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can prepare some of your own meals? Picnic lunches with lots of salads, breakfast using stuff you can keep in your room? Take some protein shakes or bars to bump your protein up.

You don't need to eat every meal either - you could skip breakfast. Or have breakfast and a late lunch that kind of lasts you through, with perhaps a small snack at night?

When I go on holidays, a big part of the experience is the food of the area. I try to find the best of the best, and don't just eat stuff I can get at home,or that I'd eat normally. If you're at a standard restaurant, go for plain and simple - you can still likely get your plain meats and vegies or salad. Save your calories for amazing things, or a treat every day!
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to have somewhere to get fruit that i can use for snacks, but i don't know the area so i'll have to play it by ear. My biggest worry is having family around eating like they are on holiday, (which to be fair they are), and me wanting to join in. I'm not so much concerned about finding healthy food, because i'm sure i will, but feeling like i'm missing out by not having the ice-creams (which i love!!)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    laropmet wrote: »
    I'm hoping to have somewhere to get fruit that i can use for snacks, but i don't know the area so i'll have to play it by ear. My biggest worry is having family around eating like they are on holiday, (which to be fair they are), and me wanting to join in. I'm not so much concerned about finding healthy food, because i'm sure i will, but feeling like i'm missing out by not having the ice-creams (which i love!!)

I'd get protein based snacks personally - you'll have no problem getting plenty of carbs and fat, but protein would probably be lower (depending on your choices of course...)

Can you research things to do that don't revolve around food?