Help? Looking to find the fun in this again!

Options
I've *actively* been at this new lifestyle for a little over 6 months now. At first, I LOVED every second of it! I couldn't wait for my next workout and would sometimes work out multiple times in a day. Since then, I've gotten to a more reasonable way of doing things where I workout 5 days a week (3 days strength and cardio and 2 days pure cardio).

But something has just changed in the last month or so. I actually still really enjoy logging my calories and trying to figure out the daily puzzle that is my macros, but working out has become a chore. Don't get me wrong, I'm still doing it and sticking to my goals, but some (most) days I literally feel like I'm forcing myself to get to the gym. On strength training days I'm fine once I get there. There's just some sick pleasure I find in pushing my muscles like that. lol But I've really started HATING cardio! Where I used to be able to spend an hour on a treadmill without thinking anything of it, I now struggle to push myself to finish on some days. I've increased the intensity and started walking a mile each way to/from the gym so I could shorten the amount of time I have to spend doing cardio at the gym and I've even tried switching things up and trying out the elliptical instead (this is a big deal for me as I was NEVER able to do the elliptical before because of issues with my legs). But I still hate it.

Has anyone else run into this kind of rut? And what have you done to break out of it? I'm looking for any ideas!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've not got to that stage...YET!! I've been actively workout out daily since January so maybe its too soon LOL
    maybe you need to change up your workout, try something different, even if its just getting outside to walk fast/jog? or check out some new workouts, I've came across some fab ones lately by Jessica Smith and she has loads on youtube - you wont get bored with her and she has a great style with her :)

Hope you get through your funk - keep in mind all the hard work so far has paid off...keep your eye firmly on your goal - the workouts are TOTALLY WORTH THE EFFORT :-D great sense of well being/ being toned/ extra fitness..so keep up the great work :)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a cardio class to switch things up?
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes! I think everyone suffers from lost motivation from time-to-time; the important thing is to ensure you stick with your routine, even though you may not 'feel like it.' Try to switch things up...do activities that you don't normally do...expand on things.

Try to focus on the positive things...like how great you feel after you work out...instead of how much you dread going to workout.

Good luck! Happens to the best of us!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Can you do your cardio outside instead?

I would rather shove bamboo shoots under my fingernails while listening to Justin Bieber on a constant loop than run on a treadmill, and I hate the elliptical even more, but put me outside and I'm golden. And if I happen to get bored during a run, I still have to get home. There is no quitting. :laugh:
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Look for fitness classes to spice it up! Zumba is an absolute blast. I find going to the gym day in and day out just gets boring and monotonous. Any fitness class offered would be a great change. If there is a pool or body of water near you, try swimming. There is do much to do In Terms of fitness in a pool! Look for a ladies group to go out and walk/run with. :)
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I get into these phases too. For me, variety helps keep me interested. Did I see you looking at Insanity earlier? Insanity, P90X, and other Beachbody programs offer variety. You could also add yoga to the mix - there are many varieties of yoga to explore too. Having workout buddies also helps - your end up motivating each other. Running with buddies worked well for me (when I was younger and still had knees). It was a lot of fun training for long races with a buddy. Also agree with Pamela's comment - sticking to a routine helps. Anyway, hope you figure out what works for you!
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    How about dance classes? They are great for cardio and it's something you can see yourself improving with time, it helps you to keep motivated :)
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need an off day - or an off week. Maybe your body is telling you that you've pushed hard for 6 months and it needs a break. Just like your muscles need time to repair themselves between workouts, your whole body and mind might just need a few days to refresh and recharge. But make sure it is a controlled downtime - don't over-indulge or allow yourself to slip back into habits that you might have broken over the last 6 months.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    YES! Considering that I have been off and on for the last 2 years. Sometimes I really enjoy this and sometimes I just can't get into it. I do agree that you need a day or 2 rest from exercise..it helps me anyway. I have managed to lose about 50 lbs altogether (and not gain much back)...slow and steady.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I get into these phases too. For me, variety helps keep me interested. Did I see you looking at Insanity earlier? Insanity, P90X, and other Beachbody programs offer variety. You could also add yoga to the mix - there are many varieties of yoga to explore too. Having workout buddies also helps - your end up motivating each other. Running with buddies worked well for me (when I was younger and still had knees). It was a lot of fun training for long races with a buddy. Also agree with Pamela's comment - sticking to a routine helps. Anyway, hope you figure out what works for you!

YOGA! I love it. I had not done it in a while but incorporated it back in with Beachbody's YBB.
  • MeadeNJ
    MeadeNJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Give it a break. If it becomes a chore more than a pleasure than it's time to find something else that provides the same results while keeping it interesting. Cardio 'in a gym' is by nature a long and uneventful type of exercise that provides minimal benefits compared to other possible approaches such as: weight lifting, Tabata/High-Intensity-Interval-Training (HIIT), etc. Maybe you need to switch to outdoor training, enter a competition of some type, get involved in a sport (karate, climbing, etc.). Never STOP everything, just keep trying new things.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'd rather kill myself then spend 5 days a week running on the treadmill. I don't even know what to do with an elliptical or stationary bike. Why would one want to stay in one place for 30 minutes to an hour? There is no play list in the world that good.

This is largely a matter of personal preference, but I really only take my cardio inside when I risk death by asthma attack due to high pollen count. So that would be my first advice, take your workout outside, go running, ride a bike, actually cover some distance when you workout, the fresh air and real sense of accomplisment when you realize you actually went somewhere will be good for you.

Other than outside, try something new, a boxing class a dance class, try something you find interesting but have always been nervous to try.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You could take a bit of a break.
    I like lifting right now and running. I might throw some swimming in too.

..and just run outside.

Have you thought about signing up for a competition? That way your not working out, but training. 5ks are all over and pretty cheap.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If I don't cardio, why do you think you have to?
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

she knows of what she speaks.. look at her pics if you ever have the chance

I like cardio more than most but you don't NEED to do it.. you do what works for you

lifting heavy works for 1concretegirl for sure ;)
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Everyone (including my trainer) keeps telling me that cardio is necessary for burning fat (which I still have some to burn off), strength training is meant for building muscle and BOTH are what I still need at this point. If someone can prove to me that this isn't true, I will worship at your feet for life! lol!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Everyone (including my trainer) keeps telling me that cardio is necessary for burning fat (which I still have some to burn off), strength training is meant for building muscle and BOTH are what I still need at this point. If someone can prove to me that this isn't true, I will worship at your feet for life! lol!

RP55VQa.jpg?1

You can pay me via paypal. :P
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

RP55VQa.jpg?1

You can pay me via paypal. :P

dont worry OP...i'll worship her feet for you.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

IN, I deserve to be worshiped.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Your traner means well, but anyone who has said cardio is necessary for burning fat is completely wrong. Strength training will not make you build muscle if you are at a deficit, either.