Why is it harder to lose the weight that has been gained back?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I started at 285, got down to 275... Then ballooned up to 315 over the course of about a year. I'm taking it slow this time around, and really maintaining the frame of mind that my way of life must change.

It's hard. Harder? Not really. Maybe it feels harder cuz you're doing right this time!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I'm losing the same 40lbs I lost a few years ago. I can't say it's any harder this time around. The difference this time is that I'm learning all I can about maintaining - something I didn't do previously. I just got to where I felt pretty good and then just lost interest in logging and counting. I never reached my goal (only about 5lbs off), and started eating again. It's pretty shocking how quickly it can come back. :(
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think in my experience I did lose lean body mass with previous loss, so my body fat percentage ended up higher at the same weight. I also think the fat distributed more to my belly area (more visceral fat!). I'm still a bit big in clothes that fit me well at 10-15 lbs higher the last time. However, I haven't found losing weight particularly difficult, just that it is taking more to get the same appearance results.

This, all the way.

• ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost 96 lbs and put it all back on.. It felt rather easy the first time and this time I am struggling big time. I think it is a mental thing. It's depressing as hell.

The first time, I believed truly in my mind that I had figured out the reason why I was overweight, how I would lose it, and that I was free from this..

Gaining it back was a massive failure and also meant that I had NOT figured out how to solve this problem, but only temporarily lost the weight.

The second time around, the fear is that no matter how religiously I believe I have figured out what the right thing to do is, I will be wrong again. It's really hard to get motivation. The first time I was all mentally "on a roll" I guess you could say.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I don't think it's harder apart from a mind over matter issue. (Apart from medical issues of course)

I gained weight...lost some....gained more back....lost some...gained it back and now have lost that too and am still losing. When I put my mind to it and watch my calories...I lose. When I don't watch my intake... I don't lose.

Simple as that.[/quote

I agree with this I am my own worst enemy. I had to stop telling myself I just can't lose weight no matter how hard I try I now say I can do this I doing it I in control and I will reach my goal nostter how long it takes
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sanjida_J wrote: »
    Its more of a mental struggle than anything else. After you work hard for months, only to get distracted &depressed with personal issues a month later, quiting excercise and binge eating.. gaining back all the hard lost pounds... standing at where you started from 6months back, your body just goes to "lol, are you kidding me" mode. Its like you took a walk in the fitness garden and came back home.

Amen

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    More of a motivational issue..
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Looking for some science on this fine Monday morning.

About 12 years ago, I had lost a total of about 75 pounds since I was in my early thirties. During that time, my weight fluctuated a lot because I would think I could stop counting calories and eat like I used to. I ended up gaining about 30 pounds back.

I found MFP over two years ago, learned a whole bunch, and set my goal to lose that 30 pounds. Well, I ended up losing 44 pounds, and this time around was the easiest it's ever been. I think that's because I learned a whole lot about nutrition, calorie restriction as opposed to food type restriction, and learned how to weigh/log foods, as well as how to balance my calories in/out to lose weight. I have been maintaining for well over a year and I feel fantastic, and it's pretty cool being able to eat all the foods I love in moderation.