I joined a gym...now what? :)

Options
So, I ditched my Jazzercise membership for a much more affordable (and closer) membership to anytime fitness. Now what? :p

I am used to showing up, following the instructor and calling it good. Obviously, that isn't going to work!

For you gym goers, do you use an app or certain website to help plan your workouts? I'm looking to lose weight and tone up, so I don't want to just go and hop on the treadmill each and every time. I also just don't have the $$ to work out with a trainer, so I'm looking for some solid DIY ideas. :smile:

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Lots of gym memberships include a "free consultation" with a trainer. They will talk to you about your goals, get you set up with a plan, and show you how to use the equipment properly. Ask about this! It would at least get you started.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would recommend an established program for lifting/resistance training to garner the best results. Beyond that, just mix in some cardio as you please.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start (though it gets a bit convoluted towards the end). Strong Curves is also a good program, but my wife usually recommends to her friends to start with New Rules to become more familiar with a lot of exercises and more comfortable in that setting before moving to SC.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are, you're not going to follow a program that isn't in line with what you're trying to achieve.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program is pretty much foolproof and easy to follow
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Toning is such a nebulous term. Do you want to build/maintain muscle mass? If so, lift heavy things. There are several good programs (New Rules of Lifting for Women and strong lifts are the two I recommend for a start).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have the Strong Lifts 5x5 app and I work out at home. Eight weeks is the longest I have followed a lifting programme and I feel like I really know what I am doing. I like this programme for its simplicity. But as someone said earlier, when you have an induction someone normally takes you around the gym and gets you on the way with a programme tailored to your needs. All the best!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do a mix of cardio and heavy lifting (Stronglifts 5x5). It really depends on your goals.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i mix my gym sessions up between straight cardio (im sure theres a proper term, but dont know what it is) where I run a certain distance at a steady rate on the tredmill, another day ill do HIIT training. ( sprint for a distance, then a slow jog/walk), Ill have days where I do the same on the cross trainer... other days Ill do upper or lower body weights workouts and mix in some core exercises ( various planks, sit ups, crunches etc) and Ive got a pretty varied week. Add in some outdoor running or rounds of golf and it doesnt get dull. Happy to share actual workouts if you like so message me if you want more specific details.
    good luck
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Bodybuilding.com for my workout routine. You can pick what you are looking for and they give you a program.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Check out www.ExRx.net. It has lots of templates, workouts, vid caps for instruction on form, and calculators for 1 RM and a bunch of other stuff.

You might also start with Strong Lifts 5X5 or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Never done either of them, but I hear a lot of people on the message boards hype them.