Workout while camping?

aPiratesLife31
aPiratesLife31 Posts: 1,119 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
In two weeks I will be doing some remote camping, I will have my mountain bike with me, but would also like to do some upper body strength training during the week I will be in the wilderness. I can't take any workout gear with me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Maybe body weight exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups/chin-ups on a tree limb, etc.?
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    use your imagination......I knew men in the Marine Corps that would workout with anything from five gallon water jugs, logs & rocks or just their backpacks at varied degrees of fullness. They would be very inventive and could workout a multitude of muscles that way.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2015
    I was pondering the same question in my mind for when I go camping this summer... but by "camping" I mean with my camper in a campground park, and I was more worried about looking silly to my neighbours when I drop and give 'em 20 (and then die half-way through).

You could try some variations on traditional body-weight exercises, like pike push-ups with your feet (or knees) elevated on a rock or similar.
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    I just camped and got in 2 1/2 hrs of canoeing a day and bicycling on top of that. For strength training (little bits) I did cart wheels with the kids, my usual hand stands, hand stand push ups, planks, body weight squats and wall sits, other yoga stuff (warrior 2, etc), all geared as play time contests with the kids. They slept so good! Still not what I get at the gym, but went back today for no losses on pull ups, seated rows.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    I just picked up "convict conditioning." All body weight exercises.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    chop wood.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I forgot to put gas in my motorcycle and pushed it uphill 3 miles.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    find a tree, or a large branch that has fallen down, and you could use that as weights, or even find a nice rock. :)
  • aPiratesLife31
    aPiratesLife31 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Thanks everybody, Good suggestions. I guess I am too spoiled by all the fancy equipment in my gym. Looks like boot camp or cave man workouts for me!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member

Totally reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3Z7a7Pleg

THAT is a workout! :tongue:
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Sometimes when I go hiking locally, I see men walking off the trail (I assume to stay out of general publics way) picking up very large rocks, taking a step or two, and putting them down. Over and over. They walk along doing that. It always makes me think of gladiators lol. They are very much in shape. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Take up rock climbing. Go hiking places where there are big rocks and cliffs for you to scale. Do it smart and safely though. You don't want to die alone in the forest.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member

Totally reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3Z7a7Pleg

THAT is a workout! :tongue:

Lol. That was bad.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Can you take resistance bands with you? They only take up a small amount of space, there are different strengths, and you can do a whole range of exercises.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Ditto on the cutting firewood. Using an axe to cut up a fallen tree for firewood will be one of the toughest things you can do (bring gloves, pace yourself).
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    I camp nearly every other weekend. We usually camp backcountry so the hike getting there with our bags is a workout enough. But carrying logs to the campsite for firewood is quite a workout! Just find the biggest/farthest ones you can and you will get your workout :smiley: