Portable "dinner on the go" options

Options
MaxPower0102
MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
This week, I have a full work schedule. When I get out of my day job I am heading straight to a sports facility somewhere to officiate 2 lacrosse games. I won't be done until 8:30 at the earliest every day, and I don't want to eat dinner that late.

One Cardinal Rule I have in my diet is that I don't eat in my car. Keeps me from eating junk, but this week I will have to break that rule. I have to eat something to have the energy to run up and down a lacrosse field for two games. So, I need ideas for food that fit the following criteria:

1) Must be portable (able to be eaten while driving)
2) Must not be Carb-heavy (I try to stay under 100g for the day)
3) Would PREFER that it not need to be heated....but I could microwave it if necessary

I am thinking deli-meat wrapped cheese sticks. Nuts, Protein bars... None of them really strike me as "dinner" though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• coop01
    coop01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like whole wheat tortillas or low carb tortillas with grilled chicken. I add veggies like salad or I add low fat cheese and heat it up if I want it hot. You can even do low fat refried beans and do a burrito
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some sort of pasta salad with chicken, beans, and veggies? Olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing.

Edit: sorry, I just saw the low carb requirement. Leave the pasta out. :smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can use lettuce leaves or Nori seaweed wraps instead of bread and fill with grilled chicken, tuna or salmon and vegetables. I like shredded carrot in mine.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have eaten deli meat wrapped cheese sticks and such for lunch. I used to think the same thing "that doesn't sound like lunch!" but once you get over that mental hurdle it's actually kind of an awesome meal. Ham, some cheese, some cut up bell peppers, etc.
  • sradams1
    sradams1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit like apples or grapes or halos and fresh veggies. String cheese, nuts, protein bars
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like to wrap deli meat about string cheese and heat it up a bit. Good to have in the car. Toast with peanut butter is good too.