Anyone on metformin?

Options
So my doctor just told me I'm insulin resistant. He gave me a drug called metformin and a side effect is loss of appetite and weight loss. I have been taking 500 mg two times a day and my appetite is GONE.. Should I be forcing myself to eat 3 meals a day to reach my calorie goal even if I'm not hungry? I literally don't even feel the urge to finish lunch and I barely ate anything!!

Replies

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am on Metformin and Im losing weight. I tend to still be pretty hungry I think I deal with hunger better on the meds. I would ask your doc or nutritionist what should be minimal to consume before forcing. Forcing sounds so harsh, may be the meds need balanced.
    Good luck!
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well there supposed to reduce hunger and promote weight loss but I know that the min I take should be 1200.. If it keeps up like today I think I may have an issue even reaching that spec if I limit carbs, sugars ect.. Maybe this is why they say it helps weight loss... I read somewhere that the way you make insulin plays a huge factor in how much you eat or how often your hungry.. I mean I'm all for eating less and watching what I eat on these meds and most people on here are all about 3 meals and snacks ect but I need advise from people on this who just feel like they can't make it there hahaha
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I took it several years ago for PCOS. It does reduce your appetite but I felt like my appetite came back after awhile. I never felt like my appetite totally disappeared or that I couldn't eat 3 meals. It was more like I would just eat one serving at each meal instead of multiple servings :blush:
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Well I had eggs and toast for breakfast and then I was eating pees and tuna for lunch and I couldn't even make it too the tuna I just feel like I can't do it. Is that normal?
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Maybe what I thought was my definition of a serving was just way off lol.. But I think I may have abit of a hard time reaching my calorie goal for now
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Any other side effects? Can I have some? :p
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Ah hahaha there are ALOT of side effects mostly upset stomach dizzy sometimes Puking and flu like. It sucks but my symptoms only lasted 2 days now I feel great! I'll have to see what the weight part will do lol. Keep in mind I'm not on it for weight loss my main reason is to have a baby lol.. Anything else could just be a perk? Lol
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    I'm not diabetic or pre diabetic either incase anyone wants to know lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SciranBG wrote: »
    Any other side effects? Can I have some? :p

Possible diarrhea.
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    Maybe what I thought was my definition of a serving was just way off lol.. But I think I may have abit of a hard time reaching my calorie goal for now

Do you have a follow up planned with your doctor? I took a look at your diary and can see that you are eating a pretty low calorie amount. Are you logging accurately, meaning that you are weighing as much as possible, measuring when not able to weigh, and logging it all? I would aim to eat at least 1200 calories a day. If you still are having trouble with that after another week, I'd call the doctor. As was said upthread, there needs to be a balance. It's good that you are eating at a deficit for weight loss but too much of a deficit will leave you underfueled and tired and that can be demotivating.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I barely feel the side effects of metformin any longer, but then again, I only take 500 mg. a day. I keep some hard-boiled eggs and high protein bars around, with 18 or more grams of protein, for days I just don't feel like eating. I would say, eat what you can, but be prepared with alternative means of getting calories and protein just in case you can't force yourself to eat.
  • daniellejm893
    daniellejm893 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but was in risk of diabetes. I have PCOS and was placed on metformin at a young age. Honestly I swear by it. I eventually was able to stop taking it once my weight was in check, but I did lose weight/appetite. I also was taking 2 pills a day eventually went to one, half of one until I was completely off of it. I wouldn't force yourself to eat but maybe try to do meal replacements and drink a protein shake or have a bar (I love "Think Thin" gluten free bars). Try eating smaller portions. I would also talk to your doctor if it you're consuming less than 1000 calories.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin for something like 20 years--before, during and after my weight gain.

Yes, you need to continue eating regular meals, even if you are not terribly hungry.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Yes I have been weighing my food logging everything correctly ect I just don't have an appatite which is weird.. Maybe I'll have to bust into the protein shakes again! I do have nature valley bars ect but maybe I'll look more into protien bars.. It's good to know I'm not alone and people understand how I'm feeling lol.. I do have a follow up appointment but not till about 3 months from now. But it sounds like everything I'm feeling is normal just needed to know how to manage it:) thx guys!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Yes, very normal. Life Choice bars are not the best-tasting bars--although their Peanut Butter Extreme is tolerable--but they are inexpensive and readily available if you have a Walmart close by and they have 18 or so grams of protein for only about 180 calories. Good luck to you!
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I took it several years ago for PCOS. It does reduce your appetite but I felt like my appetite came back after awhile. I never felt like my appetite totally disappeared or that I couldn't eat 3 meals. It was more like I would just eat one serving at each meal instead of multiple servings :blush:

This.

• Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started taking Metformin about 6-7 months ago. I always heard it could cause you to loose weight, may upset your stomach, have diarrehea, etc.; however, I never really had these sypmtons, (loss of appetite). Now when I ate more than I probably should have, I would have a little nausea, but that's all. I am on 500mg. twice a day, and it is slow releasing.

Basically it's more like this:
    jemhh wrote: »