Where's my weight lifting people at?

Options
Advice needed!

I am interested in perhaps doing some light weight lifting to get myself started. I suffer with a painful back which has eased since losing weight but can still be incredibly sore.

Am I safe to start lifting as long as I don't start trying to lift a hippo on each arm?

What would you recommend for a lifting novice?

Thank ye kindly in advance lol

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

Am I safe to start lifting as long as I don't start trying to lift a hippo on each arm?

No one here can answer that. This is medical advice type stuff which should not be solicited from internet randoms.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You probably need to build a strong core foundation. Evaluate your posture and flexibility and take corrective action which may or may not include lifting. Seek guidance from a physical therapist if you have access to one. If not do some research on posture
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

No one here can answer that. This is medical advice type stuff which should not be solicited from internet randoms.

I've been to the doctor with regards my back. She had no issue with me doing any form of exercise. Real people who have their own issues with their backs will know how sustainable it would be for me to try.

I'm not completely dense! Lol
    Options
    You probably need to build a strong core foundation. Evaluate your posture and flexibility and take corrective action which may or may not include lifting. Seek guidance from a physical therapist if you have access to one. If not do some research on posture

Thanks for that. I do kettle bells at the moment. Only using a 3kg weight which is fine but I doubt it's going to be enough with regards keeping lean mass. It's something that is worrying me as I get closer to goal. I will never be able to heavy lift as I know my limitations wouldn't stretch that far.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lot of problems with my back. I did physical therapy etc and they stressed how important core health was for your back. I personally found that when I started lifting weights, and not just the light ones, my over all quality of life improved and now I rarely have issues with back pain. Since you have your doctor's okay, there is nothing stopping you. There are several beginners programs that will get you on your way. Some suggestions are New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Stronglifts and Strong Curves.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If you have the means, perhaps seek out a personal trainer who has experience with people who have some limitations? Might be worth a session or two, especially because they could monitor your form to make sure you don't cause any further damage.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Work on core strength, and get a friend who knows something about lifting to help keep you on track with posture and form. Build up slowly and be aware of pains and what you need to do to prevent them. I tweaked by back a couple of times on C&Js until I started working hard on belly breathe and hold to keep tension right in my body.
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I used to have a lot of problems with my back. I did physical therapy etc and they stressed how important core health was for your back. I personally found that when I started lifting weights, and not just the light ones, my over all quality of life improved and now I rarely have issues with back pain. Since you have your doctor's okay, there is nothing stopping you. There are several beginners programs that will get you on your way. Some suggestions are New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Stronglifts and Strong Curves.

That's really great to know! I have seen a significant reduction in my back pain since losing weight as carrying excess pounds really did aggravate it. My dad suffers too but he's incredibly fit and has always said exercise helps.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Another MFP'er turned me onto the Ice Cream Fitness program. It's for beginners. Love it.
    Options
    If you have the means, perhaps seek out a personal trainer who has experience with people who have some limitations? Might be worth a session or two, especially because they could monitor your form to make sure you don't cause any further damage.

Anything is worth a try if it helps me get fitter.
    jchite84 wrote: »
    Work on core strength, and get a friend who knows something about lifting to help keep you on track with posture and form. Build up slowly and be aware of pains and what you need to do to prevent them. I tweaked by back a couple of times on C&Js until I started working hard on belly breathe and hold to keep tension right in my body.

Brill. Thanks for the advice :)
    erockem wrote: »
    Another MFP'er turned me onto the Ice Cream Fitness program. It's for beginners. Love it.

Thank you! Shall bookmark and have a look at that!
  • jonhlaguitar
    Options
    Advice needed!

I am interested in perhaps doing some light weight lifting to get myself started. I suffer with a painful back which has eased since losing weight but can still be incredibly sore.

If your doctor says that its ok then thats a start, I agree with doing some core work but as far as the excersises for it go, thats completely upto you. Everyone is different so If a certain exercise aggravates your back then try something different. There are usually multiple exercises for similar muscle groups. So I would say find a training plan and then adapt it into exercises that suit you and that don't aggravate your problem areas too much. Hope this helps.
    Options
    Advice needed!

If your doctor says that its ok then thats a start, I agree with doing some core work but as far as the excersises for it go, thats completely upto you. Everyone is different so If a certain exercise aggravates your back then try something different. There are usually multiple exercises for similar muscle groups. So I would say find a training plan and then adapt it into exercises that suit you and that don't aggravate your problem areas too much. Hope this helps.

It's certainly helpful! I'm a complete weights goon so any advice is good advice :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

Same here. I’ve had back pain for many years now. Physio didn’t do much for me. I started strength training and this has helped quite a lot. I do the Starting Strength (SS) program, which is great for improving core strength. It’s a few basic exercises that strengthen your entire body. I’ve been upping my weighs slowly to ensure I maintain good form - I recommend you look at a lot of videos and take it slow.

Bodybuilding.com have a good exercise database with videos (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/). You can also find the SS program on their forum here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Hope this helps :smile: Strength training is the best decision I ever made. While I used to focus on weight loss, now I focus on getting stronger, and this makes me a lot happier. Lifting heavy things is so much fun.