progresso soup...Wow...loaded with sodium

Options
pwh300
pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
Had it for lunch today. Low Calorie.. but I'm way over my sodium count for today.
My fault for not reading sodium content.....

Progresso soup is off my lunch menu.

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    You'll find most of those canned soups and beans are sodium laden. I don't eat them much, but when I do, I usually only have 1/2 a serving and then add other stuff to it like more veggies, or some brown rice, or some oats, etc.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Anything in a can will be high sodium. Anything from the freezer section, as well.

But I can and do incorporate Progress soup into days where I don't exceed my sodium goal.

Also, unless you have a medical reason to go low sodium, going over your sodium allotment here and there isn't a huge deal.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Do you have health issues that require to limit your sodium intake? If not, going over from time to time is nothing to worry about.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Do you have health issues that require to limit your sodium intake? If not, going over from time to time is nothing to worry about.

This. I love the light Progresso soups, and they were a staple for me back when I was in active weight loss phase.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    All canned soups (or at least the vast majority of them) have lots of sodium. I eat canned soup once a week or so, I try not to more often than that due to the crazy sodium. But once a week isn't a big deal to me.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I normally don't track sodium, and when I go low carb I may even need to add in extra. But I was shocked at the amount that is in soy sauce. 1 serving is like MFPs default recommended daily.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    All soups are. And if you buy the low sodium version, they are tasteless. I'd rather make my own and add spices like garlic and onions for taste.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I make my own soups. it's easy and you know what's in it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't a big deal as long as you drink enough water so you don't retain fluids. :) of course unless your MD has you on a sodium restriction.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    I watch my sodium intake because I've noticed when I have too much I hate the way my body feels. If you happen to like black bean soup I highly recommend Dr.McDougall's low sodium black bean soup (I know there is a veggie one and a lentil low sodium too I think) but I usually have that for lunch with a scoop of quinoa or baked chick peas (the good bean, SO yummy). The container is cardboard so just throw the soup in a microwavable container and I zap it for 90 seconds. It's 12% sodium/serving and tastes delicious.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything that comes out of a can will be high in sodium, unless you purchase the low sodium version which doesn't taste as good :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make my own soups and freeze them in 1 cup portions.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    yeah, pretty much anything in a can, freezer section /packaged / pre-prepared meals are going to be high sodium... I guess something about preservation or something.

I dont avoid something just because its high sodium, but I keep track just so I know if I need to up my water intake to make up for it...Theres no effect at all on weight loss, just that the water retention is a bummer, but too easy to fix by just drinking more water. no harm no foul.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Making your own soup is a lot quicker than you think. Can add all the veggies you want, use low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth) & whole grain egg noodles. I have even added canned chicken in a pinch.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The reason why I like to make my own soup is because I can control the ingredients, including the amount of salt, and they make an awesome little 100-250 calorie meal that I can keep on hand at any time in my freezer. My favorite soups are:

Spicy Tomato Blue Cheese Soup (I switch out cream for evaporated skim milk) Link

Split Pea (I use smoked turkey neck) Link

Curry Lentil (same recipe as split pea, but use lentils, omit turkey neck, and add in 2.5T curry powder to the onions, garlic as they saute.

Buffalo chicken soup Link

Baked Potato soup Link

Broccoli Cannelini Cheddar Link

Quinoa Kale Chicken Link

Carrot Peanut Link

Sun Dried Tomato Soup Link
  • pwh300
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

This. I love the light Progresso soups, and they were a staple for me back when I was in active weight loss phase.

I have High Blood Pressure and try to watch what I can. I'll look for the light Progresso.
  • pwh300
    Options
    The reason why I like to make my own soup is because I can control the ingredients, including the amount of salt, and they make an awesome little 100-250 calorie meal that I can keep on hand at any time in my freezer. My favorite soups are:

Spicy Tomato Blue Cheese Soup (I switch out cream for evaporated skim milk) Link

Split Pea (I use smoked turkey neck) Link

Curry Lentil (same recipe as split pea, but use lentils, omit turkey neck, and add in 2.5T curry powder to the onions, garlic as they saute.

Buffalo chicken soup Link

Baked Potato soup Link

Broccoli Cannelini Cheddar Link

Quinoa Kale Chicken Link

Carrot Peanut Link

Sun Dried Tomato Soup Link

Gee Thanks...