C25K

Options
2»

Replies

• acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did C25K two years ago and completed it and have never ran before. I felt so much better after I ran. Ended up with some medical issues and with weather and other excuses I stopped running. In December 2014, my husband bought me a treadmill. Now I have no excuses and restarted C25k. I have had trouble doing the program consistently on the treadmill, but have re-did days til I was able to complete them. I am now on Week 7 and so proud of my progress. Even though I only get to run once a week at times, the program is my motivator on how well I am doing. I actually downloaded C210K from ZenLabs just so I could continue toward a goal. I am not one that likes to run in public so I do not do races and don't have the desire to. This app alone is motivation enough for me to keep trying and keep running.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am also working on C25K, I am on week 7, yesterday I ran/jogged 20 minutes for day 1. I am signing up for a 5K race over the Memorial Day weekend so I plan to finish up C25K before then. I started the program several times but never got very far on it. When I started I couldn't even do the 1 minute run for the 1st day. So week 1 took me several weeks to accomplish. If I couldn't do the runs I would just keep repeating that week/day until I made it through. I am 54 years old and when I started C25K I weighed around 220 pounds so it was a challenge and I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and getting this far.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great advice, jchite! I go into every race with a time goal AND a non-time related goal; that helps take some of the pressure off.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm going to be getting back on c25k next week, but I've been following the same philosophy since getting back into the gym April 1st. I have been doing 6sets of jogging with a 90 second walking break in between and a five minute warmup/cooldown walk 4x/week.

This is what I've been doing:

Week 1: 2:00min jog/90 sec walk
    Week 2: 2:30min jog/90 sec walk
    Week 3: 3:00min jog/90 sec walk
    Week 3.5: 4:00min jog/90 sec walk
    Week 4: 5 min jog/90 sec walk

I have only failed two jog sets, and they both came on the day I went up to 2:30min jogs. As it stands, in just a few short weeks, I'm having no issues whatsoever completing my jogging sets, and could probably go for 3-4 more if I truly wanted. I have increased my jogging speed from 5.2 to 5.5mph, and can complete a 5k in about 35 minutes (including the warm up walk), or so.

Next week, I am going to try to jump into week six of this program: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html. I feel as though I shouldn't have much of a problem doing so, especially considering I have two more days of my week 4 left, which actually means I will have to cut my overall jogging time down in order to jog for longer periods of time before breaks.

I've been pretty amazed at how quickly I have gained endurance.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    There is even a group at MFP for C25K:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Lots of advice about running, dealing with injuries, threads for the different levels.