How to recover after a binge?

I managed to stay binge free for nearly 3 weeks, but I completely lost control today. I feel sick to my stomach and extremely ashamed of myself. Should I fast tomorrow just to give my digestive system a break? I'm thinking of not weighing myself the next few days for the sake of my mental health. Will this set me up for failure? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• thatguy56
    thatguy56 Posts: 3 Member
    One day won't break you, try not to be so hard on yourself. Fasting is an unhealthy response both physically and emotionally for the next slip-up (we all slip, sometimes many times). We are changing habits with the work we're putting in... Be it gaining or losing weight; any way you look at it that's the hardest part. If it will make you feel better though eat a couple salads, greens are refreshing.
  • Yanesmy89
    Yanesmy89 Posts: 19 Member
    Every day is a new start. Don't beat yourself up. I myself have been eating horribly the past 2 days. But remember, 1 good day won't make you skinny, and 1 bad day won't make you fat!
  • I would advise against fasting the next day... Trust me when I say that that's the kind of all-or nothing reaction that leads to the slippery slope of eating disorders. Just keep your chin up, eat a little cleaner tomorrow and maybe go for a long walk or do some light activity that you really enjoy. We all have tough days and days were we lose self-discipline around food. The important thing to keep in mind is that it's only one day.
    ;)
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Don't feel ashamed! Bad days, binges, etc happen to everyone!!

I agree with the above posters; don't fast. Just get back on your regular eating schedule tomorrow and drink lots of water to help with bloating.

Also, give yourself a break and don't weigh yourself for a few days. I find if I go off my "plan" the scale shows a gain for as long as a week (due to sodium and water weight). Please don't get discouraged and don't feel bad or guilty. Just accept that it's in the past and start fresh tomorrow :)
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    I had the same issue this week. I did weigh myself and told myself to shake it off. Today I was not very hungry but I made sure I got in 1200 calories and lots of water. Shake it off!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Eat at your normal deficit. Odds are you didn't consume enough to wipe out more than a day or two's deficit ... especially if you're set at two pounds per week loss.

If binging is an issue for you, a smaller weekly goal and resultant lower daily deficit may be a better option for you. Slow, steady, manageable.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Your ticker shows three pounds to lose ... if that is to your goal weight your weekly planned loss should be 1/2 pound per week.

• CiaraFit21
    CiaraFit21 Posts: 8 Member
    I binged last night and feel horrible and ashamed today too. It's really hard the next day to not want to punish your self from it. But I agree dont fast or starve yourself. Just eat at your deficit and do your exercise. Also feel free to add me. I struggle with binging too
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    don't feel ashamed. there is an exquisitely good reason for the binge. work on analyzing what that was all about, what led up to it. don't feel bad you are working on it. after a binge just go back to making healthy food choices don't deprive yourself, you don't deserve to be punished.

i skip that weigh-in that week. just mentally it helps me to not see the scale days after I've overeaten. cause it just makes me feel worse about myself which is what i don't need.

be nice to yourself, you are learning. hang in there
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    If you did that then you needed to do it, mind you it's amazing when you've been keeping it all in check for a lengthy time then you binge and it's almost like you have a hangover from food the next day....did it last Saturday.