When you screw up.. binge

Options
kiittenforever
kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I ate a disgusting amount of junk today!

I've been at this for 52 days now and have been pushing myself to the gym 3 times a week and walk 10,000 steps usually daily. I stick to 1,200-1,500 a day in calories. I've lost 10 pounds now and I am starting to see subtle results from putting in the work at the gym. I plan to continue.

I'm not sure what happened today I skipped the gym and thought what the heck I've been working hard I will just have 2 girl guide cookies - well 2 turned into 6 and then I pretty much ate the remainder of the box - yeah, I ate half a box of cookies then ate a bunch of regular potato chips stuffing myself.

Then thought well I already screwed up today and I ate a ton of peanut butter and bread too. I feel disgusting and ate like 3,000 calories today. I'm not sure why I did this and am feeling pretty *kitten* and guilty about it and dwelling on it. I know tomorrow is a new day and I will continue but wtf triggered this binge. It was pretty bad - maybe I was just a little excited over the progress picture I took and thought what the hell. I'm not sure - I guess chalk it up to a bad day and not let it happen again and continue on? I've dieted in the past but never binged like this before. Yuck. Really gross and so many calories and bad food in general. SMH.

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 400 days and I had a horrible day yesterday. I was good at breakfast then made home made kettle corn for lunch and ate almost the whole popper by myself. Later I wanted chocolate but all I had was Nutella so I put some on 2 graham crackers and that tasted so good I had 2 more. Top that of with 3 slices of homemade pizza (I usually allow my self 2) washed down with a beer and there you have a bad day. I've had them in the past and I'm sure I'll have them in the future but you're right when you say you won't let them turn into bad days, weeks and months. Cut yourself some slack, you're only human, and good luck with the rest of your journey, many people are on your side!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've done it too -- it's puzzling, because I will feel awful while doing it, & scold myself, because I know better. I actually had about 2 or 3 weeks of that -- quickly put on 6 lbs, & finally listened to my inner voice & started tracking properly again. I've managed to drop those lbs again, & am now about 1/2 lb less than my previous low, so I know I've managed to get past this one--which I've never done before. Before, I would just give up after screwing up. This time, I stopped it, & hopefully if I screw up again, I'll be able to get myself back into proper eating habits again. You know what you did-- tell yourself that you're only human, & will make mistakes. The important thing is to acknowledge it, and move on.
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it just happens and the best thing to do is to forgive yourself and start fresh tomorrow like it never happened.

But if it is a regular thing, or becomes a regular thing, then the most common reason is that you are either not eating enough calories for your needs, or you are restricting the type of food that you eat too much. If you let yourself work in some treats daily into your calories, you are much much less likely to binge.

If you are too strict on yourself, eventually you will binge.

Some people even lose 100+ pounds then gain it all back because once they lose the weight, the go "well, I'm done now!" and start binge eating all the stuff they "weren't allowed to eat" before.

The brain is funny like that. If you tell it that it isn't allowed to have something, it will do everything possible to sabotage you and eventually your willpower will give up in the face of chemicals in your brain, hormones.. all kinds of rationalizations.

The one you listed is the most common one. "Well, I've already F'd up today, might as well turn it into an epic day-long binge!" Sometimes one cookie turns into all day binge, then all day binge turns into a full weekend binge.. then a full weekend binge turns into a month binge..

The best way to prevent this is to let yourself have what you want in moderation and make sure it is PLANNED, not spontaneous. Sometimes simply telling yourself that you can have that cookie, but you can have it tomorrow, and work it into your calories, is all the brain needs to relax about it.
  • AzWifenMom
    AzWifenMom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your logo on you profile says it all, keep going. I am glad to see I am not the only one who fell to the box of cookies. Thin mints to be exact. After crashing and burning, feeling like a bloated toad, guilt beyond any confession could cure, I had to dust myself off and realize I am on a daily journey and not every trip is perfect. When I looked back I also realize that when I would crash like that, I was tired or even to the point of exhaustion. How well have you been sleeping? Dust off, pick up and move on. Nobody is going to wack you knuckles with a ruler. Give yourself a hug and say, tomorrow we will move again in the right direction! (((hug))) All is good. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting yourself too much? If so, that may have been the trigger. If it does happen again, don't just throw the day away...pick yourself back up and get to work.
  • kiittenforever
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty strict and weigh all my food and drink green tea and water like crazy I even feel bad having bread and try to avoid it. I walk every night like clock work and just totally fell off the routine today and said screw it. I knew to avoid the cookies but wanted to try them now I know just to avoid the junk all together seriously I have no self control to have just 2 - its not worth it. I can't believe how much I ate today thats crazy. I'm going to move on now that I ranted and just go extra hard at the gym tomorrow and not do it again. Sorry for the long rant.
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    I do better the days I go to the gym because I work so hard why ruin it with junk. Maybe I will aim to exercise more. I need to chill out, I know I just want to lose 10 more pounds in 45 days. This was a bad day.
  • creationscrown
    creationscrown Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I ate a disgusting amount of junk today!

I've been at this for 52 days now and have been pushing myself to the gym 3 times a week and walk 10,000 steps usually daily. I stick to 1,200-1,500 a day in calories. I've lost 10 pounds now and I am starting to see subtle results from putting in the work at the gym. I plan to continue.

I'm not sure what happened today I skipped the gym and thought what the heck I've been working hard I will just have 2 girl guide cookies - well 2 turned into 6 and then I pretty much ate the remainder of the box - yeah, I ate half a box of cookies then ate a bunch of regular potato chips stuffing myself.

Then thought well I already screwed up today and I ate a ton of peanut butter and bread too. I feel disgusting and ate like 3,000 calories today. I'm not sure why I did this and am feeling pretty *kitten* and guilty about it and dwelling on it. I know tomorrow is a new day and I will continue but wtf triggered this binge. It was pretty bad - maybe I was just a little excited over the progress picture I took and thought what the hell. I'm not sure - I guess chalk it up to a bad day and not let it happen again and continue on? I've dieted in the past but never binged like this before. Yuck. Really gross and so many calories and bad food in general. SMH.

Love your honesty! Keep at it. From what I have read, consistency is key. Back on the horse tomorrow!!
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look at it this way, I feel awful, and it'll be a long time before I do it again, and won't make it a habit. These are good things. Give some time to digest now. Yikes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to do, never lost control like that.

But I guess log it and start the next day.

Probably thinking screw it I done goofed and stuffing your face with peanut buttter isn't the right choice. If you mess up at breakfast, accept your losses, don't throw good money after bad by over eating the rest o the day.
  • kiittenforever
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the support.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strict and weigh all my food and drink green tea and water like crazy I even feel bad having bread and try to avoid it. I walk every night like clock work and just totally fell off the routine today and said screw it. I knew to avoid the cookies but wanted to try them now I know just to avoid the junk all together seriously I have no self control to have just 2 - its not worth it. I can't believe how much I ate today thats crazy. I'm going to move on now that I ranted and just go extra hard at the gym tomorrow and not do it again. Sorry for the long rant.

There is no reason to feel guilty about bread. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that makes you have to limit it. Key word there is diagnosed, not just something you read in a magazine and all of a sudden you think you have that condition.
  • jascakes
    jascakes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I screwed up yesterday too! :)
    Bravely put it in my public diary, had a bath, a real good think and a good nights sleep, feeling positive again today!

If you feel like breaking away from your food plan/going wild with the girlscout cookies again, or already have, think about other ways you can treat yourself to feel better! Dont beat yourself up feeling guilty about it. For me it was a hot bath and an early night, for you it might be painting your nails in front of your favourite show, etc. Take care of yourself xxx
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on

next time you will stop yourself sooner

• tintinsaab
    tintinsaab Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When you have a bad day (eating wise or with other stuff) you just have to let it go. Otherwise you drive yourself nuts going over it in your head.

I am a comfort eater. I can be doing great but them something (often pathetically small) can bug me and I go straight to the cupboard to look for cookies or chocolate.

I sometimes find the 'deferred gratification' technique helps. I say to myself, "I really want that chocolate now, right now..... but I am going to wait 30 minutes and if I still want it I will have it". Often the craving has passed after 10 minutes or so. Or I might say, "I want chocolate now... but instead I will wait until tomorrow and get a Krispy Kreme donut", then tomorrow comes and I don't want a donut. Works for impulse shopping too.

Generally though, I just avoid having certain stuff in the house because I know that I would be tempted. On the other hand I am too lazy to walk to the shop for chocolate so I can't want it that much.

My OH always says that a healthy diet is not about what you eat on any particular day, it's about what you eat overall. Just write that binge off as a blip and get back on the horse.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I know for me, its best to just chalk that day as a loss and start over the next day. That doesn't give me carte blache to completely go nuts and ignore my hunger/fullness signals. If I have a big binge in the afternoon, chances are I'm not eating dinner. That's not because I'm punishing or restricting myself, it's simply because I won't be hungry.

Just log it and resolve to make tomorrow a good day, and even if its not, don't beat yourself up
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Oh man I wanted so bad to just binge on a big bowl of sugary cereal last night. It's THAT time of the month (I know, TMI lol) and my serotonin levels get pretty low so my dr has me taking meds during PMS time to alleviate it. But man, my levels must still be low because I wanted a serious sugar high. Thankfully my hubby was there when I was thinking out loud and convinced me to go and work out to feel better and he was right. This is just so hard sometimes.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    *kitten* happens as they say. You can't change what happened yesterday but you can make today better. As stated previously just log it and move on. Maybe try to fit in an extra workout or eat really clean (NOT cutting calories because then you will just be too hungry, but eat healthy foods). Everyone slips up at times (I've learned I cannot buy Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal :/ ) but all we can do is, be better going forward!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Life happens. The most important thing for me is to log honestly, even if I go way over my calories. That way, if I see the scale start to creep up, I have the data to explain why. You can get back on track tomorrow, just move forward.