is it bad to eat eggs too often?

Options

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Eggs are magnificent little oddly-shaped things of food. I've been eating 3-4 a day for about a decade and my bloodwork is great. Cholesterol is good for you.

Revel in the glory of the egg! Sing the song of its bounty. Dance a dance of joy, for we can keep eggs by the dozen. Excelsior!

LOL This made my morning, I couldn't put it better myself, eggs are definitely one of the top REAL "super" foods out there.

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eggs are magnificent little oddly-shaped things of food. I've been eating 3-4 a day for about a decade and my bloodwork is great. Cholesterol is good for you.

Revel in the glory of the egg! Sing the song of its bounty. Dance a dance of joy, for we can keep eggs by the dozen. Excelsior!
    I <3 this post :)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat about 6-8 a day.

usually 2 hard boiled
    and then 3 whites + 2-3 yolks for dinner as a scrambled mess of deliciousness.

All is well with the world.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of research that show eggs do not signification increase a person's cholesterol, in fact it has been show that diet does not have much affect on cholesterol. If you like eggs, go ahead and eat them. They are high in protein and fairly low in calories.
  • BigFatDaddy55
    BigFatDaddy55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eggs are Excellent for You. The Harvard Study is Ancient & Flawed. A slight percentage of people are sensitive to dietary cholesterol, but for everyone else it is a nutritional non-issue. I eat 6 eggs a day, unless I feel like more:)
  • retrozippy
    Options
    I only eat Eggbeaters. Far fewer calories and fat free. It stretches my alloted calories a lot further in a day.
  • BigFatDaddy55
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I eat 2 whole eggs + 4-8 egg whites every day. No problems here.

• BigFatDaddy55
    Options
    Yo, don't throw away the yolks, they are the best part:)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    retrozippy wrote: »
    I only eat Eggbeaters. Far fewer calories and fat free. It stretches my alloted calories a lot further in a day.

But fat is delicious! And so are real eggs! :smile:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat eggs everyday, mostly hen eggs but also duck eggs (which are delicious cooked over-easy in grass-fed butter). I found this ranch near me that sells them, quail eggs too which I haven't tried yet, but I will :)

And yes I eat the whole egg ;)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Although eggs are no longer supposed to be the devil, still it is not a food completely "safe" to consume in large amounts, also depending on what else your diet includes. This is one of the points where most drs and medical sites seem to disagree with many of the posters on this site.
    As the Harvard site mentions "research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life"

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

That was a very poorly controlled cohort study which only showed an association b/w over 7 eggs per week and heart failure. Causality was never proven.

And such dietary studies are worse than useless anyway. That's because when the population has been told that "eggs are unhealthy" for decades, then people who do not eat many of them are also probably living an overall healthier lifestyle than those who eat tons of them.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    retrozippy wrote: »

While missing out on tons of nutrients and taste!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. The only time I do egg whites is when I really want to bulk up my whole eggs but can't afford the extra calories of more whole eggs.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Only issue is too much nitrogen from the protein but as long as youre not incredibly above what your protein needs are daily then they shouldnt be too much harm!
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are a marvelous source of nutrition! not only protein, but a great source of choline which helps preserve brain function.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yo, don't throw away the yolks, they are the best part:)

I'm not going to eat 8 whole eggs a day.

nods.
    I have found I can still consume a fair bit a volume by adding in the egg white without losing to much- I can't do plain egg white- but I also can't eat 6 full eggs- to many calories.

So splitting it half and half has become a pretty good answer for me.

And yes- I throw my egg yolks away- the egg whites in the stores are 6$ for a container equivalent of 14 egg whites. 2 dozen eggs are only 4.99.

not really hard to do the math on that one.

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs + 4-8 egg whites every day. No problems here.

Same here. No problems to report.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have to ask for those of you eating 4 eggs a day, how many dozen eggs are you buying at once?? My husband has an egg a day and I usually have a couple per week, I buy one dozen at a time. I can't imagine having 6 dozen eggs in my fridge for the week. that's insane, plus they are usually so expensive!