Squash? What do I even do

Options
cschu544
cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
Ok. I just bought a butternut squash and I'm going to *try* my hand at making spaghetti squash. I saw that you could throw it in the crockpot with some water and cook it on low all day. Other recipes are telling me I should bake it instead. Does anyone have any tips for me? Do you think slow cooking it is appropriate? I have never made squash anything so any tips would be amazing! Thanks so much guys!

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a type of squash, not a recipe you make with whatever type of squash you have.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash and spaghetti squash are two different squashes. Butternut is best cubed or just halved (seeds scooped out) and baked in the oven
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Roast butternut is delicious. It makes good soup - use it like pumpkin

You can also use it in pancakes or baked goods - steam it first to soften
  • Ophira58
    Ophira58 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spaghetti squash. I cut mine in half and take the seeds out......turn it upside down in a microwavable dish with a little water and microwave about 10 minutes until the flesh is soft. I do one half at a time. Then I scoop out the squash.......looks like spaghetti strings.......and do a medley with it. I use onions, mushrooms, olives, zucchini, or any other veggie of your choice.........bell peppers, carrots, whatever. And saute it all. Then I juice a lemon and pour it over the top. It's a hit at my home.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Ophira58 wrote: »
    I absolutely love spaghetti squash. I cut mine in half and take the seeds out......turn it upside down in a microwavable dish with a little water and microwave about 10 minutes until the flesh is soft. I do one half at a time. Then I scoop out the squash.......looks like spaghetti strings.......and do a medley with it. I use onions, mushrooms, olives, zucchini, or any other veggie of your choice.........bell peppers, carrots, whatever. And saute it all. Then I juice a lemon and pour it over the top. It's a hit at my home.

But you need a spaghetti squash to do that.... Not a butternut :)
  • debbiegoodwin370
    debbiegoodwin370 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, I cooked in microwave . I poke holes with an ice pick after washing. You can use a fork but ice pick does best . Do across the topside of squash . I cook any where from 15- 20 mins whole or just check it , when soft it's done . Will be hot so use care taking out . Cut it in half and scoop seeds out . Then you scrape all the rest out with a tablespoon. You can season to your liking . I use a pepper/garlic/sea salt mix or labeled fajita season , comes in a shaker spice bottle . Brush with olive oil or butter . I also put a little chili powder on mine . You can make a tomato sauce or just same sauce you would use on pasta . Taste like spaghetti. Or for low carb meal add butter,sour cream and top with shredded cheese and bake until heated or pp back into microwave until melted . I have also put cream cheese in it with butter , sour cream and shredded cheese and bake until all bubbly and melted . It's low carb done this way . My grand daughter thinks it's the best thing she has ever ate . That same recipe can be made with cauliflower cooked in microwave. Put it in a bowl and cover with water cook until tender , drain water off and mash up with a fork . Use butter , sour cream , cream cheese and bacon bits , chives mix all together and top with shredded cheese and bake or microwave until all melted and bubble. The last two are low carb . The spaghetti squash with pasta sauce is low calorie.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I basically use butternut squash like sweet potatoes. Peel and chop, roast with olive oil, salt and pepper. I like to eat it as a side dish, or as hash. It's awesome.

I hate to link to Hungry Girl, but she has a few great ideas in one spot Recipes