Lifting and weight loss

Options
Hey there I'm a female and I need to lose 15 pounds to get to my ideal weight. I just started lifting last week. I do bi/tri and chest on Mondays, back and shoulders on Wednesdays and legs on Thursdays. I do want to lose 15 pounds but I also want to tone. Am I doing this right? And should I add more days or 3 is OK?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me! I do something similar and have seen good results. Remember that the most important thing for weight loss is calories in/calories out. So as long as you are within your calorie goal you should see the weight loss. You are also smart to start lifting now as you lose weight, it should help you maintain some muscle. Good luck and have fun lifting!
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? I'm looking at starting lifting but am rather gymtimidated (new favourite word). Also, are you doing any cardio along with lifting or just the weights?
  • Barbosas77
    Barbosas77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan to me! I do something similar and have seen good results. Remember that the most important thing for weight loss is calories in/calories out. So as long as you are within your calorie goal you should see the weight loss. You are also smart to start lifting now as you lose weight, it should help you maintain some muscle. Good luck and have fun lifting!

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Yes according to my bmr I calculated how many calories I should be taking in. I'm so excited and I LOVE lifting! Thanks!
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    KWake1 wrote: »
    What exercises are you doing? I'm looking at starting lifting but am rather gymtimidated (new favourite word). Also, are you doing any cardio along with lifting or just the weights?

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Well I start with a 5 min incline cardio to warm up and then lift for 45 min then 10 min cool down cardio. I've read hard cardio is not needed since it just burns calories. I want to burn fat so I'm just sticking to weights.
  • bobyknish
    Options

Don't be gymtimidated. I'm a guy and I know that the last thing anyone in a gym is doing, is paying attention to what other people are doing. If you are focused on your workout, no one will care, and you'll be too focused to notice them looking (if they are).
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    bobyknish wrote: »

Don't be gymtimidated. I'm a guy and I know that the last thing anyone in a gym is doing, is paying attention to what other people are doing. If you are focused on your workout, no one will care, and you'll be too focused to notice them looking (if they are).

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Exactly! My husband is SUPER gymtimidated and had never even lifted a basketball and he FINALLY stepped into a gym with me, only to wait till I finished lol but then he started to lift with me and now he LOVES it and doesn't care about others if they look at him or not. You have to start somewhere
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Barbosas77 wrote: »
    Hey there I'm a female and I need to lose 15 pounds to get to my ideal weight. I just started lifting last week. I do bi/tri and chest on Mondays, back and shoulders on Wednesdays and legs on Thursdays. I do want to lose 15 pounds but I also want to tone. Am I doing this right? And should I add more days or 3 is OK?

You will tone first so your body gets smaller but weight won't change a lot, So take a few measurements for comparing later. Eating a deflect on calories is what will get you lighter. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    Barbosas77 wrote: »

You will tone first so your body gets smaller but weight won't change a lot, So take a few measurements for comparing later. Eating a deflect on calories is what will get you lighter. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Yea that's what I read... I did measure myself when I first started.. So I'm throwing away the scale lol!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women book might be of use to you.
    Also, I'd suggest checking out Fitocracy. It is like MFP, but for working out. Lots of people over there with lots of useful advice, and you can see what other peoples workouts look like.
  • silver_inca
    silver_inca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ve been doing Stronglifts 5x5 since Feb, and i must say without changing my diet too much i have seen weight loss in only 2 and a half months. Weightlifting is the way forward and i hardly do any cardio now.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting will completely change your body in a great way, I dropped 14lbs the first month x
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So excited I stated lifting and can't wait to see the changes in my body!