gain muscle not fat

Options
This last weekend I was in drill and it was announced that the Army was now ok with being over body weight standards as long as you pass the body fat. I am 200lbs and want to hit 220 and keep it at 15% or under of body fat. What is the best way?

Replies

• TJH77
    TJH77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft and 24%
  • TJH77
    TJH77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 200 now and would be ok with cutting down my fat to 15% and staying at 200 or above. Your right 220 and 15 is a little off. I really just want to cut the fat and build the muscle without loosing the weight
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    People with much more knowledge and experience than I have usually recommend cutting to the 12% mark or so before trying to increase muscle mass. This is because the body tends to build more of what it already has.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    farminman7 wrote: »
    I'm 6ft and 24%
    So if your numbers are correct, then your lean body mass is 152lbs. To be 15% with that lean mass, your weight would be 178lbs. That means you're 40lbs of lean mass short. To put on 40lbs of muscle WITHOUT putting on excess fat would take a LONG LONG time on recomp. I'd probably be able to collect SSI legally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    farminman7 wrote: »
    I'm 6ft and 24%
    So if your numbers are correct, then your lean body mass is 152lbs. To be 15% with that lean mass, your weight would be 178lbs. That means you're 40lbs of lean mass short. To put on 40lbs of muscle WITHOUT putting on excess fat would take a LONG LONG time on recomp. I'd probably be able to collect SSI legally.

Agree with this. To gain 40lbs of lean mass with no fat gains is going to take many years (decades) unless you supplement with cell tech
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally agree with the other posters OP. You need to get your expectations back to reality levels. Get that body fat % down before you try doing any true bulking, you want to be 10-12% bf range. Lift while losing the weight, work on your form/lifting techinque/stabilzing muscles. By the time you hit that low bf%, you will be ready to utilize the bulk correctly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so you want to add weight and lose body fat at the same time?????