Meal suggestions

Options
Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
hey all

Looking for some suggestions for meals to try. I find I end up eating the same things just cause I know I like them and know how long it takes to cook etc.

I am eating around the 1500+ calories. I have no allergies that I am aware of so no need to avoid nuts or seafood etc

If you do suggest something I'm not exactly a great cook. I prefer to spend less than 10 mins to prepare and cook breakfast and lunch and less than 30 for dinner.

So anyone got a suggestion I can try? Something on the high end protein wise?

Thankd

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Google this: five ingredient meat recipes
    Do you have a crock pot? I find that using the crock pot makes meal planning easy.
  • Andrealorren
    Andrealorren Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt swaps are my favorite! You can make chicken salad, ranch dressing and all sorts of things out of it. I also like to eat stirfry, you can eat a lot of it and it's really yummy and easy. Homemade vegetable soup is a staple for me too and is really easy to make.. Umm I could probably go on and on lol but I don't what all you like..
  • Merkavar
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Do you have a crock pot? I find that using the crock pot makes meal planning easy.

I think I will say no.

I have a pressure cooker, is that similar?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Greek yogurt swaps are my favorite! You can make chicken salad, ranch dressing and all sorts of things out of it. I also like to eat stirfry, you can eat a lot of it and it's really yummy and easy. Homemade vegetable soup is a staple for me too and is really easy to make.. Umm I could probably go on and on lol but I don't what all you like..

Never heard of a yogurt swap before.

Might have a look at stirfries. I used to buy frozen ones a while ago.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »

I think I will say no.

I have a pressure cooker, is that similar?

No. One cooks fast and the other cooks slow.
    =======
    Here is a chicken recipe for the Pressure Cooker:

PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN
    1 (3 lb.) chicken, cut up
    1 (1.2 oz.) pkg. onion soup mix
    2 c. water

Place the chicken in the pressure cooker, add the water, sprinkle the dried onion soup mix over the chicken. Heat until steam starts to come out. Add the pressure top. Bring to 15 pounds pressure. Cook for 15 minutes at 15 pounds. Turn off heat. Allow the pressure to reduce to normal.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Stir fries, omelettes, scrambled eggs, meat/fish in the broiler with a side dish of steamed vegies, pasta with simple sauces or just cheese, pasta salads, soup, are all things that do not require serious cooking skills and need little preparation time.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are my SUPER quick breakfast. Add water, shake, go! Cottage cheese with berries sprinkld over is also one I love.

For lunches I just throw together greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber chunks, chicken and some blueberries with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Either have it on it's own or pop it in a wrap.

Dinners: my favourite fast dish is a stirfry! Super easy, super yummy and sooo quick. I can have it on the table in 15 minutes :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    This should take about 10 minutes to throw together (and most of that is browning the meat)

Turkey sausage & green chili crustless quiche

1 lb Turkey breakfast sausage (not links)
    4 whole eggs
    3/4 cup egg whites
    4oz shredded cheddar cheese
    7oz chopped green chilies
    1 cup cottage cheese

Brown sausage. Mix all ingredients together. Place in 9x13 inch dish sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!! Makes 8 servings.
    1 serving =237 cal/1g carb/14g fat/26g protein

Pressure cooker 15 bean soup is always a quick go to. Beans are high in protein and fiber and low fat. Follow directions on the bag and BAM you have plenty for lunch and/or dinner the next day (or two)

Other go to high protein foods...greek yogurt (use plain and add flavors/fruits), cottage cheese, protein shakes, oatmeal with egg whites and protein powder (awesome!)

Hope this helps!!

• jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    hey all

Looking for some suggestions for meals to try. I find I end up eating the same things just cause I know I like them and know how long it takes to cook etc.

If you do suggest something I'm not exactly a great cook. I prefer to spend less than 10 mins to prepare and cook breakfast and lunch and less than 30 for dinner.

Thankd

I know you said that you are not a great cook, but do you actually dislike cooking? If you learned some new recipes, you could open yourself up to so many new meals and possibilities and ideas. I would suggest researching new recipes that are advertised to be quick and easy...you may find that the more recipes you try, the more you learn and the more you start to enjoy cooking. Just a thought! Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/high-protein-recipes

http://www.fitbie.com/quick-meals/50-protein-packed-dinners

http://gizmodo.com/three-fast-easy-high-protein-meals-on-the-go-511381641
  • Cando86
    Cando86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Salmon (Gorton's makes a frozen salmon that you literally just throw in the oven, no work needed), frozen veggie and rice

Breakfast burritos - low cal tortilla, cheese, eggs, avocado, salsa

Stir fry

Veggie burgers topped w avocado and salsa and a side (Frozen veggie)

Chicken Caesar salad - throw the chicken in the oven for a few minutes (there are a few diff recipes online) and buy a prepackaged bag of romaine with low cal Caesar dressing

Stuffed peppers

Zucchini boats
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Steam in bag veggies and brown rice are my go to when I am feeling lazy. Just pop them in the microwave and in 3 to 7 minutes they are done. They are cheap too. I get them on sale for $.99. then all you ahve to do is make a quick egg or chicken breast or the salmon mentioned above sounds good.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Since you asked for high protein food, this one is very easy, low in calories and a change from the usual meat/fish dishes:
    Lentil soup

Fill a pot with the lentils and enough water to cover them and then add at least an extra cup . You can use vegetable broth to replace part of the water or a bouillon cube, but water works just fine.
    Bring to a boil, add one chopped onion and/or garlic, and if you like the taste of tomato, a tablespoon tomato paste or a finely chopped tomato.
    Lower the heat and cover.
    Boil for 30-60 minutes, checking every 10 minutes or so to see if extra water is needed.
    When the soup is done, add salt, pepper, vinegar and oil to taste, boil for an extra 2-3 minutes and you are ready.

You can keep the soup in the fridge for several days, or freeze in portions. Can be eaten both hot and in room temperature.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This month's issue of Cooking Light featured quick recipes (I believe every recipe is 20 minutes or less). I find that that does not include prep, so maybe a more realistic dinners in 30 minutes or less. I made this pasta dish and salad last night, and it was pretty good. Super easy and fairly quick.

Are you open to eating seafood? Fish is generally quick cooking, and the recipes tend to be simple. Sweet orange salmon is one of my personal favorite.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Sure some easy meals:

Place some lemon slices on foil. Add seasoned fish: catfish is my favorite but I sometimes use frozen tilapia. Season with cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, mrs dash or what ever seasoning you like. Bake in oven. Serve over rice or with veggies.

Pita bread makes awesome pizzas. I use whole wheat for 150 calories. Top with refried beans, tomatoes, diced chicken, cheese and salsa. Bake until bubbly. Or make a traditional pizza.

Chicken tacos. Shredded chicken plus white corn tortillas with whatever toppings you like.

I have a pressure cooker. It's the bomb when cooking fresh frozen veggies! Chicken also great in it for the shredded chicken.

Shrimp is versatile. You can buy it frozen where it's deveined and peeled. Defrost and skewer with veggies or sautee in small amount of oil. Serve with veggies or pasta with light sauce.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    jmeprich wrote: »
    hey all

Thankd

I know you said that you are not a great cook, but do you actually dislike cooking? If you learned some new recipes, you could open yourself up to so many new meals and possibilities and ideas. I would suggest researching new recipes that are advertised to be quick and easy...you may find that the more recipes you try, the more you learn and the more you start to enjoy cooking. Just a thought! Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/high-protein-recipes

http://www.fitbie.com/quick-meals/50-protein-packed-dinners

http://gizmodo.com/three-fast-easy-high-protein-meals-on-the-go-511381641

No I don't hate cooking. More just getting home from work I normally prefer to get food sorted fast.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking , so this is my go to meal because its fast and easy and tastes good but is very simple.
    I make a pot of rice , and mix in tons of veggies ( you can even just use the frozen steamable veggies if your really short on time )
    Now that you have your rice and veggies, you can throw in some chicken or beef , whatever you have available. You can season it so many different ways , I like Goya brand Sazon but you can seriously use whatever seasoning you like. Its fast , and tastes good! We eat some variation of rice and veggies about 4 days a week at my house.