can anyone tell me will 300 crunches aday burn off belly fat?

Options

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that great muscle definition and appearance requires that the muscles aren't buried under a layer of fat. No one will see that sixpack if it is under 2" of fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    idabentley wrote: »
    Research is negative on crunches especially the strain on lower backs try instead planks, squats and lunges to improve core strength and looking more toned

planks .. the most overrated beginner's exercise ever .. once you can hold a static plank for 60 seconds you aren't getting any further benefit from it .. people seem to forget that they need to made their exercises dynamic and build the resistance

Well, while planks aren't the best, I disagree. I held a two minute plank yesterday post workout, the first minute being easy, but by minute two my whole body was shaking and I was sweating bullets. I doubt I stopped seeing benefits.

congratulations you can now hold a plank for 2 mins which means .. you are better at holding planks
    Research is negative on crunches especially the strain on lower backs try instead planks, squats and lunges to improve core strength and looking more toned

planks .. the most overrated beginner's exercise ever .. once you can hold a static plank for 60 seconds you aren't getting any further benefit from it .. people seem to forget that they need to made their exercises dynamic and build the resistance
    Weighted planks seem to be pretty popular.

increasing weight resistance - agreed
    dynamic - agreed

but a static plank? holding it for longer means you can hold it for longer

I have always struggled with weak shoulders, which planks have helped strengthen. It's not so much core on my part. But to say a static plank is completely useless is a little hyperbolic.

Didn't say that at all

I said once you can hold one for 1 minute there is no additional benefit in practicing holding them longer, far better to move to dynamic / increased weight ...same concept as any exercise, it's about progression
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Well, while planks aren't the best, I disagree. I held a two minute plank yesterday post workout, the first minute being easy, but by minute two my whole body was shaking and I was sweating bullets. I doubt I stopped seeing benefits.
    Isometric holds help with strength, but beyond a certain duration, become more of a muscular endurance challenge. Further strengthening would happen if more resistance were added an in the case of a plank, that would something like someone setting a weight on your low back/glute area. Body weight only takes you so far unless you're changing leverage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

congratulations you can now hold a plank for 2 mins which means .. you are better at holding planks

Weighted planks seem to be pretty popular.

increasing weight resistance - agreed
    dynamic - agreed

but a static plank? holding it for longer means you can hold it for longer

I have always struggled with weak shoulders, which planks have helped strengthen. It's not so much core on my part. But to say a static plank is completely useless is a little hyperbolic.
    You'd be MUCH better off training them directly rather than using a plank.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that great muscle definition and appearance requires that the muscles aren't buried under a layer of fat. No one will see that sixpack if it is under 2" of fat.

Yeah, but I know there is a sixpack down there. Somewhere.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm always baffled by the "endurance planking"-- I don't know how long I can hold a static plank, because finding out would be boring! But I do love dynamic exercises that incorporate plank position: push-ups, mountain climbers, walk-downs, plank rows, burpees, etc. All great total-body exercises that work my abs AND my back. (I have no use for endless crunches either, but that's partly because of some lingering back issues.)
  • itscattopaz
    itscattopaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yay awesome job! But working out doesn't necessarily focus on a single part of the body--it's more about calorie burn, fat loss, muscle build, etc. That being said, I would highly look into weight lifting as I have personally found my body looking better and more toned using it in the past.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Planking is a pretty dynamic exercise for me; about 10 seconds after I get into a plank I have two kids jumping up and down on my back.
    I wonder if MFP has a category for horsey rides?
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Planks will give you lean, long and muscular abs, sort of like a swimmer's body.
    Crunches will give you big, deep, protruding, stocky abs ..
    So depending on the look you want, you would have to choose your workout accordingly.
    Naturally the longer that you can hold a plank, the stronger your abs become, and the more refined they will look.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    Planks will give you lean, long and muscular abs, sort of like a swimmer's body.
    Crunches will give you big, deep, protruding, stocky abs ..
    So depending on the look you want, you would have to choose your workout accordingly.
    Naturally the longer that you can hold a plank, the stronger your abs become, and the more refined they will look.

LOLno.

Exercise is just exercise. You'll get benefits from body weight exercise to a point. Once they start to become too easy for you, you need to progress to heavier weights.

But spot reduction or spot toning is a myth; just work out all over and see your body tone up all over.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    BSmith0926 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I started 3 years ago and lost 50 pounds I am almost where I want to be and just need to fix a few problem areas.

Scultping is possible. source of information - ace training and experience.

• rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You lose fat in about the opposite way you put it on, location and quantity. Sorry, that is biology.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

this, I switched from 250 a day to planks. Much better
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    yes.

if you do 600 crunches a day you're guaranteed a 6 pack in about a month.

if you keep your receipt.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. Aside from planks and crunches (which have been discussed) what is the general consensus on best exercise to strengthen and define abs? Not spot reducing. Just concentrating on those muscles in particular.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Pushups are balla as *kitten* for abs yo
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Planking gives you ELBOWS OF STEEL! :smirk:
  • wcurudy
    wcurudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Aside from planks and crunches (which have been discussed) what is the general consensus on best exercise to strengthen and define abs? Not spot reducing. Just concentrating on those muscles in particular.

I'm interested in this too. Especially if you have links to actual research, bro-science does nothing for me.

• cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Pushups are balla as *kitten* for abs yo

Hahaha. End anything with yo and I find it very difficult to argue with. ;) Wish I could do them well. My form sucks.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Whenever I see people talking up planks, I can't help but picture the people in Wall-E bragging that they can stand up for X seconds.