So tired

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I would definately say 1) workout really helps. 2) are you actually resting? maybe when you are "sleeping" you have too much on your mind - try drinking some chamomile tea before bed to help you relax 3) I think you are eating too little. Go calculate your BMR and TDEE - you should NEVER eat below your BMR - that's how much your body needs for fuel just to stay alive. Your TDEE is how much you're burning doing everyday activities including exercise... if you use this number minus 20% you should see a loss. I started this a few weeks ago and have had great success. You shouldn't have to starve yourself to lose weight.

Good luck.
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm doing around 1300 cals a day, occasionally I will have a neutral day with up to 1800. I had a few neutral days last week and my weight has been standing still, so I've realized that I simply won't shift weight unless I actually eat less than 1300.

I am just so tired and borderline depressed. I wake up after 7-8 hours sleep and still feel tired after I've had coffee. I get plenty protein from eggs, turkey and chicken (always go over my protein limit). I've started taking zinc and iron pills.

What else could I be missing? Is there a lack of a specific vitamin/mineral which may cause this? Or is it just a mandatory side effect of dieting?

I don't think eating less than 1300 calories is the answer to weight loss.
    It's certainly not the answer to your energy levels. If you increase your calories, you will lose weight and you will have energy.

I think the reason the scale isn't moving is because you aren't consistent. Try 1500 calories a day for 4 weeks. You have to give it time before you change things up again!

I agree with this!!
    [/quote

ME TOO! And make sure you're getting healthy fats in your diet. Like avocados, nuts and olive oils. You NEED them in your diet. One last thing is to actually measure out your portions. I know I think I'm eating less than I really am if I don't measure. If you're eating more for a few months and still not losing weight, go to the doc. You might have a thyroid problem. Good luck!
  • denabrown25
    denabrown25 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I found taking a B complex has helped a Lot with my energy levels.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Another possible cause for fatigue is obstructive sleep apnea. Symptoms include:

extreme fatigue
    falling asleep during the day time
    extreme dry mouth when you wake up
    morning headaches
    irritability/depression
    frequent nighttime trips to the bathroom
    snoring
    waking suddenly with gasps/snorts

If you sleep with a partner, they would be the first to notice some of this behavior. Untreated sleep apnea robs you of necessary deep sleep and will undermine your attempts at weight loss. If you think you have these symptoms, go your you physician to discuss

If these don't apply, I agree with others that think 1300 may not actually be enough. We can't know for sure without more information about your diet, height, weight etc...

It might be a good idea to see a physician to discuss your weight loss goals. There are professionals who can help you make a realistic plan
  • cdoerr11
    cdoerr11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your thyroid, B12, and D levels checked by your doctor. Depression and lethargy are hallmarks of low thyroid function. I went through this for years before I was diagnosed. I also found out at that time that I was seriously low in B12 and D to the point of needing prescription-grade vitamin therapy. I feel great now! You might also look into some natural supplements for adrenal support. Those will help with your energy levels.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ask the Dr to check your ferritin levels as an indicator of your iron status. From your symptoms, iron deficiency is a possibility.
  • susan9
    susan9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You could have sleep apnea