Giving up sweeteners in drinks

Options
Has anyone tried to give up sweeteners in coffee & tea? I have used them for years... and in an attempt to cut out things I really don't need... am trying to give them up.

Did it take you long? Did you manage to give them up? Does it ever taste good :smile:

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I cannot drink coffee so I never developed a habit for it.
    A few years ago I started drinking tea and I like it plain. I high end buy brands that make me happy.
    Changing a habit involves a cost benefit analysis. Which is more important to you and how much do you want to be inconvenienced during the transition? Keep the sugar if it makes you happy. <3

Or try tapering down the amount of sugar over weeks or a month.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can drink good black coffee without. Or if it's got milk I can go without....
    I never used to be able to drink it without but weaned myself off

Baaaad coffee needs it though :p
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    yes! our bodies get used to what we put into them. so if you cut down the amount, you should find that eventually you will be able to do without. i used to love a little bit of coffee with my cream and sugar; now i don't even think i have sugar in the house... and my coffee and tea are just as satisfying :smile:
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yep. I used to drink my coffee light and sweet. Now I drink it black. I got rid of milk when I went vegan, non dairy milks don't do coffee any favors IMO, and once I calculated the amount of calories worth of sugar I was dumping into my morning coffee, I realized I would rather spend them on actual food.

Now putting sugar in my coffee is an occasional treat, not a daily habit.
  • lapriya
    lapriya Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All my life i used to coffee with lots of sugar, that too 5-8 cups a day. it was recently that i calculated calories im wasting in my coffee. I wanted to use that calories to eat more real food. The day i started cutting off sugar, i was the most horrible around. Angry, tired, a bad headache.. it was way better on 2nd day, n from 3rd day i was in zone.
    Does it taste better? Well not yet for me, still trying to get there.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've managed to cut down from 3 to 1 but still can't do either English breakfast tea or coffee completely without it! Just tastes too bitter for me.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I gave them all up last January. It was fun, my morning coffee was ok (I kept Milk in it) and I quickly lost the taste for artificial sweeteners. If I had some insomething I could totally taste them (and not in a god way). BUT then...it was a warm summer and I couldn't resist the diet coke occasionally. Then I seemed to throw in the towel and go back to splenda in my coffee. I don't have too much though so I'm accepting it! Now my coffee is back to delicious!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking my coffee black for years. Now I can't stand regular coffee with cream and sugar. I have a latte on occasion for a treat but that's all.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee but I do drink (mint) black tea. I started out with a tsp of regular sugar and I've cut back to 1/2tsp of a splenda/sugar mix (I buy it pre-mixed). Calorie wise it's so minimal that I'm not trying to cut it down any further.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you like having them, then there's no real point in cutting them out. I can drink my coffee without sweetening it if I have enough milk or cream in it, but now that I'm only using two tablespoons of milk or one of cream in a mug of coffee, I just like it better with sweetener. I don't buy high end coffee, but the results are the same whether I drink higher end coffee or not.
  • gelsdon
    gelsdon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your experiences... That helps me a lot... I think going 'cold turkey' was a bad idea... I want to try cutting it down... but some things (like coffee) is hard... where fruit teas might be easier... One step at a time maybe? :-). Again - thank you for the support.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used a step down approach with iced tea many, many years ago. I started with 1/4 cup sugar in 1/2 gallon of iced tea. Then I went with 3 Tbl....etc.

One thing I found that helped. I steep plain tea bags & flavored tea bags together. Now my tea has a slightly fruity flavor, but no sweetener needed. The best thing about the flavored tea bags is, it gives the tea a more mellow flavor overall. Lipton Pyramid Bavarian Berry & Twinings Mixed Berry are both fruity black teas....2 individual flavored bags + 1 iced tea bag (not the cold brew...blech) makes 1/2 gallon.

Cirtus-ginger green tea.....steep ginger root with your green tea. Add orange and lemon slices. If you mash the slices a bit you get more citrus flavor.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, giving up sweeteners is one of the best things I ever did. After I gave them up my tastes changed. I began to appreciate other flavors in coffee that I was previously drowning out with sugar and milk.

Now I love quality black coffee! I can't stand coffee with too much sugar because it masks the complex flavors of a quality dark brew.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    gelsdon wrote: »
    Thank you for your experiences... That helps me a lot... I think going 'cold turkey' was a bad idea... I want to try cutting it down... but some things (like coffee) is hard... where fruit teas might be easier... One step at a time maybe? :-). Again - thank you for the support.

I did it by slowly cutting back. First start slowly decreasing the amount of sweetener. Once you're using no sweetener, slowly decrease the amount of creamer/milk.
  • mjaygtoo
    mjaygtoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested skim milk and cinnamon so going to try that.

In another thread, someone suggested almond or coconut milk...
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to never be able to drink coffee black until I discovered real coffee. The kind that is roasted fresh and ground right before it is prepared. Burr grinders and pour-overs - it is the only way to have a truly sweet cup of coffee without any sweeteners. Everything else tastes like bitter dirt now and I am unsure how I ever drank it. I have already kicked my keurig and CBTL machine to the curb (I used to DEPEND HEAVILY on those things).

My suggestion - try real coffee! :smile: Or tea, I love my tea.
  • mjaygtoo
    mjaygtoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @epawelek That is interesting. I've never had sweet black coffee, except some of the Starbucks stuff (link below) which is lightly sweetened so probably not the best choice (they also have caramel and unsweetened).

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/bottled-drinks/starbucks-iced-coffee-light-sweetened

Which brands do you grind?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    gelsdon wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to give up sweeteners in coffee & tea? I have used them for years... and in an attempt to cut out things I really don't need... am trying to give them up.

Did it take you long? Did you manage to give them up? Does it ever taste good :smile:
    Your tastebuds eventually adapt to whatever you eat, so if you reduce the sweet taste you expose them to, less sweet things taste sweeter by comparison lol if you follow that. Your tastebuds replace themselves within two weeks...you have to train the newbies!

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think it was something that I just got used too. I know exclusively drink black coffee (once in the morning), unsweetened tea, and water... got be careful though as tea and coffee can dehydrate you. there was time i was only drinking water but decided that i wanted a different taste - hence the tea and coffee. i got used to it, and now i can't drink either of those things sweetened... just kinda forced myself to drink it! now, the sweetest stuff i drink is smoothies - but when i do that, its my entire meal. good luck!

oh, and of course, i still drink alcohol (in moderation!)
  • jean___x
    jean___x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i used both regular sugar and artifical at the same time for years. 2 years ago i read the book "the selfish brain" which changed my mind completely and i give up sweeteners immediately. meanwhile lets say since half a year i use sweetener, drink diet drinks, coffee, tea... i dont use any white sugar at home anymore only sweetener and stuff like honey from time to time...