why are we doing this?

Options
Hey all

I'm interested in knowing everyone's main motivation to lose weight? You know that thing you think of when your having a weak moment and need to stay strong...

For example, my main motivation is because I'm having fertility treatment at the moment. I lost 2 stone before I started treatment and I'm just kind of chipping away at that last stone while I'm trying to conceive.I was told that I couldn't have treatment unless I was under 30 bmi...so that was what got me started.

It's amazing because previously I've never been motivated enough to stick to weight loss...even when I felt horrendous, looked awful, was diagnosed with diabetes, and hated myself....I still couldn't lose weight.

But once I got the right motivation I found it easy!! On a side note I also want to prove to alll those people who said I couldn't do it that I CAN and I wanna be a hot mom haha

So, what's your big motivator? :D anyone else share my reasons?

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! Wanting a family was a great motivator for me. 15 years ago I lost 2 stone to have fertility treatment. It took us 3 attempts, but in the end we had a beautiful son. Weight crept back on, and some more, so when we decided to try and adopt a second child, this was a great motivator for me. I joined Slimming world and lost 4 stone. I discovered I loved exercising (after being the girl who would do anything to get out of PE.). After 3 years of fighting we finally got a little girl, 18 months ago. I discovered that that rather than eating loads of chocolate when I was upset or frustrated about the waiting, it felt better to go into the gym and throw sand bells around!This time I have kept the weight off, it's a struggle to get the exercise in at times, but it's my special time and it's worth it that I can keep up with the kids.

Good luck with your journey
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I was just fed up of being fat. My best friend had lost 3-4 stone and was looking for a training partner. I found out I loved weight lifting. Unfortunately he stopped training a year ago but I'm still at it!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    My reasons started as just vanity, I didn't like the way I looked heavy and wanted to lose weight.
    As I got older, I care less about my looks and care more about overall health. So now my reasons are my health (and I'm still a bit vain lol)
  • doctorwho2x
    doctorwho2x Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started off because I wanted to be appealing to the opposite sex. I put some of the weight back on. As I got a little older I'm doing it for my self and it feels right!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I just got fed up of hating myself and turning my head away whenever I walked past a mirror. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

My reasons were medical initially. Then after those were taken care of, vanity. I love the way I feel and look right now. I like feeling sexy, strong and fit.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Mostly for health reasons.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was fed up of not looking good in any clothes. I would look longingly at gorgeous dresses etc, but know that i couldnt wear them because i was too fat. 1 stone down, a bit more to go, but already i look better in clothes than i have in a long time.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    like most i wanted to look better. saw pictures of myself at my heaviest and couldn't believe that was me. when i started working out i realized just how out of shape i was and i was motivated to be not just lighter but fit and strong as well.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap to buy larger sizes in clothes so started losing weight to make sure I don't have to buy bigger. Unfortunately I've now lost so much I'm having to buy smaller. :D
  • Maccadonagh
    Maccadonagh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got fed up of hating myself and turning my head away whenever I walked past a mirror. Congrats on your loss so far!

Me too but it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your loss :smiley:.

I started my journey because, though I was pretty active, my eating habits were terrible. After cleaning up my diet, I decided to start changing how my body looked as well. My reason for starting my journey was because I wanted to live a longer, stronger, more active life but my motivation is my husband. He's very encouraging and loves cheering me on during my workouts lol. We don't have any children just yet but I plan to continue this lifestyle even after having kids.

kxxr6kf4lwvs.jpg2yt5rx5dblyp.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My weight crept up to obese on the charts. Walking with my family I would be slower than everyone, out of breath and in pain- not a 5 mile hike either, just going a couple of blocks. Being almost after of breath after climbing a flight of stairs. Pain and discomfort every night as I tried to sleep. Seeing a future of doing less and less and being stuck in a chair or being seriously ill. Not being able to fit into clothes felt terrible. Not liking my picture being taken. Being too embarrased about my loud snoring to sleep away from home- no camping, no hotels, no staying over at someone's house. Not having energy.
    I lost 20 lbs and it is so much better. How good I feel now is the best motivator. I have reduced my pain. I can bend down to tie my shoe easily. I can fasten jeans that I could not 6 months ago. Reports are that I am not snoring as much. Lots more energy. I have 10 more pounds until I am no longer overweight on the chart and I am looking foward to getting there.
  • JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It wasn't anything big. I've always been obese so I didn't miss my skinny clothes, because I never had any. I didn't get fed up with being fat, because it's all I've known. It wasn't new medication, because I've been on medication for pre-diabetes since I was 13. It wasn't even some big revelation of how I need to lose weight.

I just decided. I noticed I'd put on a few new pounds since moving to my sister's house, so I was looking for free weight watchers information (because weight watchers is expensive) when I found a link for MFP. It didn't take any convincing. I signed up and haven't looked back in the last month.

9 1/2lbs down, 120+ to go
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My four children deserve a Mum that can run around with them and chase after them, if you know what I mean. I saw myself in the mirror one day, saw the scales in the doctors and went home and cried. I didn't know who I was when I looked at myself. I want to be healthy and fit and turn my husband's head like I did the day we met over 14 years ago.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Stress relief is why I started. The only thing that would make me feel better was boxing, then I got into lifting. Haven't unintentionally missed a day yet and that was three and a half yrs ago. The gym is my personal therapy!
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Having a massive hemorrhagic stroke and a couple of brain surgery is at the ripe old age of 45 really let a fire under my behind to take charge of my health and personal well-being. My motivation to live a healthy lifestyle is off the charts and unhealthy eating and unhealthy lifestyles are totally The last thing on my mind
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are numerous reasons - firstly, I want to be fit again, I hate not having the energy to run up a flight of stairs. Secondly, I don't like buying new clothes and so I must do something to fit back into the ones I already have. And I also want to lose the weight because I am a bit embarrassed I gained it in the first place. And the reason I would like to emphasise the least is that I remember when I was at my lowest weight, I ran into an old schoolmate who I hadn't seen in a couple of years. His utter astonishment when he said "wow, you've gotten so thin" was very flattering.
    I know that the reasons for weight loss should be mostly personal, not about trying to impress other people or to conform to any "standards", but there's still that little piece of me who wants to look good in the eyes of other people. But I'm working on my self esteem and focussing on the more positive reasons why to lose weight (like better overall fitness and a healthier body). :smile:
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    my health. to age well. to feel my very best. the bi product of all those motivators is...looking good!
  • lian27chime
    lian27chime Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1) to look good most specially in pictures :)
    2) so I can easily fit to any dress I want
    3) to be back to healthy life style as I always had before marriage and to prevent sickness of any kind, prevention is better than cure