Failing on weights/unable to complete sets

Options
Hi
I did an upper body weights session yesterday after a break of about 3 weeks. I knew it would be hard, and struggled to complete my sets. For example, on dumbell overhead press I aimed for 3 sets of 8 with 8kg dumbells. I completed the first set, but only managed 6 reps on the second set and 5 reps on the 3rd set. I'm still pleased with myself as I know that I tried my best.
My question is - I know that to get the best results it should be a struggle to complete the set - should it be so much of a struggle that you can't do the last couple of reps - or should you be able to complete the set but it should be very difficult? I'm asking because I came away yesterday feeling that I had really given it my best. Normally I can complete the sets - I'm wondering if this is a sign that I should be upping my weights.
I'm also eating at a slight deficit as I'm trying to lose my last bit of weight (about 4 pounds) so I think some of it's physcological - I'm expecting to find lifting more challenging than usual.
Thanks x

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some programs tell you to deload a bit if you're coming back from a week or more break. I had to drop 10 lbs off my squat and DL for my first session after I took a break from lifting while on vacation.

Are you using a structured program or did you design your own?
    If you're new-ish to weight training, it may be helpful to stick with a progressive compound lifting program that will tell you when to up the weight and when to deload. As is always the suggestion around here, look in to Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength or something similar.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're trying to do, really. Most will say do the sets you can do with proper form, even if that means going down a bit. Having said that, if you want to push for strength/mass, lower your reps and increase the weight/rest periods. I've always struggled with endurance in my shoulders, reaching failure after about 3 sets regardless of the weight - but recently I've upped the weight so those sets I do are harder. I still fail after 3 or so, but my strength and shoulder size is increasing.

With any exercise, I try and keep proper form through the first few sets, then in the last one push the weight as far as I can, and focus more on lifting the damn thing than keeping form perfect. I never expect to hit my target of 4-6 in the last set, it's usually more like 2-3.