Any females still lost weight in antidepressants?

Options
2»

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft for a few months after my father passed away. I was on a fairly low dose,and had no problems with my weight. I also started a pretty vigorous yoga practice at that time though, so that undoubtedly played a role as well.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm on seroquel, aropax, and occasionally clonazepam. Have lost 45lbs so far since January.
  • tiffanyrussell2824
    tiffanyrussell2824 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on cymbalta and amitriptyline. ...made me put on weight in the last year I've had to double my amitriptyline and weight has piled on ....trying to cut down on amitriptyline .... also tried lots of diets and diet aid drugs etc but my metabolism is just so so slow ......any advice welcome ☺
  • suke28
    suke28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    suke28 wrote: »
    I am on the dreaded paxil. It's been about 11 years now. Weaning will be a very slow process due to the horrible withdrawal symptoms docs don't tell you when they put you on it. Anywho, after gaining over the years I have buckled down, started to count calories and am now starting to lose slowly, but surely.

This is just wrong and unethical of the medical profession to withhold such vital information from patients. It's a wonder anybody trusts doctors anymore. If it hadn't have been for that radio talk show, I never would have known about it. Paxil just made me feel weird. Good luck getting off of it. How long will it take to be free of it?

I wish I knew. I tried several times to wean off, but each time I was unsuccessful.
  • cvin0110
    cvin0110 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As some of the others, I lost weight on Wellbutrin. In fact, it was the ONLY antidepressant I was willing to take because it was the only one that didn't have weight gain as a side effect. I basically told my doc that weight gain would only make my depression worse and if he was insisting I use medication, that was the only option.

However, I only took it for about three months. Here's the thing. I lost weight and got into amazing shape while taking WB. I had virtually no appetite so mindless snacking became a thing of the past. I also had a huge amount of energy so was hitting the gym hard every day. My body was basically processing it like speed. I have a strong heart that recovers from elevated BPM quickly. During one intense cardio session my BPM went up to 218(!). I didn't cool down properly enough and when I recovered (too soon) to 65 BPM, I passed out. My doc pulled me off the Wellbutrin immediately.

So... the point of this rant is... just be careful. I know what happened to me is very rare. But be careful switching medication if the only reason is weight loss. Sounds like you are working on tapering your doses and that may be a better / healthier option for you.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I take 40mg of Prozac and was prescribed it to help control my EDs, one being binge eating disorder. It supresses my appetite but mentally stabilizes me enough to control impulses.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Jinxy23 wrote: »
    I've been on all sorts over the years and only one has caused weight gain which was Mirtazapine.
    In fact I think switching pills last month has increased my weight loss which really shocked me.

That is because mortars pine is a know appetite stimulant. It is actually was is prescribed to animals who haven't been eating. My cat was on it for a while to try and entice him to eat while really sick.