Loosing 20lb in 74 days

Options
Hi all,

I'm going on holiday in 74 days but would like to be at my goal weight.

I'm female 5ft 6, currently 160lb but would LOVE to be 140lb.

I've been trying for a little while now - but am an awful binge eater. After a whole day of eating great I'll get hungry and ruin it by going to the snack cupboard.

IF I stick to my 1300cals a day, and exercise 5 times a week (Mix of weights and cardio) can I reach my goal?

Does anyone have any tips on not binging and staying on track?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It is an aggressive goal and I don't think anyone can tell you with certainty if you can do it or not, especially if you may be binging in the middle of it.

But if you introduce a calorie deficit, you can lose some weight by your holiday and some is better than none.

What calorie goal does MFP recommend for you? Where did you get 1,300?
  • alexelmer
    alexelmer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MFP recommended 1380, I think I may be a bit harsh to loose all 20lb for the holiday, even a stone lighter would be an achievement I guess?!
  • alexelmer
    Options
    It is an aggressive goal and I don't think anyone can tell you with certainty if you can do it or not, especially if you may be binging in the middle of it.

But if you introduce a calorie deficit, you can lose some weight by your holiday and some is better than none.

What calorie goal does MFP recommend for you? Where did you get 1,300?

MFP recommended 1380, I think I may be a bit harsh to loose all 20lb for the holiday, even a stone lighter would be an achievement I guess?!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    alexelmer wrote: »

Yes. I started at 154 (before MFP, so it isn't all on my tracker) and now am at 135, but I saw changes at about ten pounds. My pants are much looser, my waist is thinner, and my chin is pointier. My husband began noticing at about ten pounds. There is a lot you can do without losing all 20 immediately.

• nav411
    nav411 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just love food (a real comfort eater me). Try and find some 'snacks' that a low cal and not naughty. Carrot and hummus, low cal jelly for desserts, fruit, dried fruit, nuts. Best thing to do is eat well during meal times so you are less tempted to reach out for nibbles. Keep water at hand, have that and give it 15 mins and if you still feel peckish, then nibble on some designated healthy snacks. And eat SLOW, eating fast means eating more. Take your time and be aware of your body telling you when it's full. I used to be a real 'eat until you can't move' person. These tips really helped me from overindulging.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would say it's better to stick to 1380 and don't eat back your exercise calories and if you stick with it for the 74 days then you are going to be in a much better position than you are now. No one can tell you if 20 lbs is possible with only that to lose but hey even 10 lbs (approx. 1 lb a week) is better than nothing isn't it? Good luck.
  • tjcalley
    tjcalley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe try and fit those snacks into your calories for the day. I started doing that after reading posts on this forum and it has helped tremendously! I don't feel "deprived" and it helps me make better choices during the day
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of setting time limits on weight loss. Could you lose 20lbs in that time? Yes. Are you going to? Honestly, probably not.

BUT, you have to start somewhere, no? If you lose 10 or 15lbs, isn't that better than where you are now?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,399 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Considering the lcd makes you binge, it will probably be better off having a slightly less aggressive goal, concentrate on a solid lifting routine to see some changes in your body and accept the fact that you won't hit a target weight this year. Because honestly, if you binge, you can stop all your progress, even with just one day. Also, lowering carbs and increasing fats & protein will be ideal to increasing satiety and keeping you full. Also, if you go lchf, then you will deplete glycogen/water weight. But overall, fat loss and body composition will provide a much better appearance than straight up weight loss.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you are prone to binging, trying to lose too quickly is probably not a good idea for you, but you can probably make good progress toward your goal and feel great in time for your trip. I am the same height and have the same goal weight as you do but started a few pounds heavier than you are now. It took me 90 days to lose 20 lbs because of the totally normal good days/bad days thing. I was a binge eater in my late teens and wanted to avoid that trap now that I'm in my 50's. Cutting myself a little slack is how I've managed. My goal is 1200 a day, but I don't feel bad going over as much as 300 calories, since that is still eating a deficit. Exercise helps, because I usually eat back my exercise calories--that motivates me to exercise more. After losing only 8 lbs I felt terrific and was getting complements from people who noticed. Even though I'm 7 lbs over my goal now, I feel good enough to take it slow at this point...and the weight loss DOES slow, a lot, once you are this close to your goal. Getting super conscious of good nutrition is a big help--lots of veggies and some fruits, whole grains, proteins, healthy fats, etc. You will feel so much better in 70 days whether you are at your exact goal or not!
  • alexelmer
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    If you are prone to binging, trying to lose too quickly is probably not a good idea for you, but you can probably make good progress toward your goal and feel great in time for your trip. I am the same height and have the same goal weight as you do but started a few pounds heavier than you are now. It took me 90 days to lose 20 lbs because of the totally normal good days/bad days thing. I was a binge eater in my late teens and wanted to avoid that trap now that I'm in my 50's. Cutting myself a little slack is how I've managed. My goal is 1200 a day, but I don't feel bad going over as much as 300 calories, since that is still eating a deficit. Exercise helps, because I usually eat back my exercise calories--that motivates me to exercise more. After losing only 8 lbs I felt terrific and was getting complements from people who noticed. Even though I'm 7 lbs over my goal now, I feel good enough to take it slow at this point...and the weight loss DOES slow, a lot, once you are this close to your goal. Getting super conscious of good nutrition is a big help--lots of veggies and some fruits, whole grains, proteins, healthy fats, etc. You will feel so much better in 70 days whether you are at your exact goal or not!

Thank you all for your help!!

Sprepej - its so encouraging to hear from someone who is/was in a similar position to myself - I'd be over the moon if I lost 20lb in 90 days! I guess it's also about a life change, not just a change for a holiday!
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I try not to set impossible goals (not saying yours is) because then I get disappointed and gain weight instead. This time I have set my goals at 1lb per week which may be more realistic. I know it is about how you feel but as other members have said any loss is better than nothing. Good luck.