QUIET cardio exercises!

Options
Hello, I don't finish work until 5 but get home at 6 pm. I start working out for about 8 pm after tea however I also have a very grumpy old downstairs who complains when my three year old daughter jumps around let alone 11 stone me! What quiet cardio exercises are there if any?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Are you able to buy a cheap exercise bike?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Go outside.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    What about mountain climbers? Those tend to get my heart rate up without making too much noise.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Go outside.

It's after 8:00 at night and she has a three-year-old. Not a good suggestion.

How about kettlebells?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you able to buy a cheap exercise bike?

I second this
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Go outside.

That may not be an option ;)

Kettlebells are quiet (as long as you don't drop it) and can give a wide range of cardio workout from easy to extreme.
    They also take little space and are great for increasing core strength.

• DawnRobinson96
    DawnRobinson96 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Go outside.
    If only it was that easy. I have a three year old daughter that I can't just leave fend for herself also my partner works nights so that is also not a suggestion. I will have a little browse for an exercise bike and I've never heard of kettlebells so will have a little look at that. Thank you all :)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    look on local buy sell sites on facebook or on craigslist for used (and cheap) exercise bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, etc. I've seen them in every imaginable price range including under $50
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Go outside.

How about kettlebells?

Bring the kid with you?

Have someone else look after the kid for 30 minutes to 1 hour?

Move?

Break into your neighbours apartment while they're sleeping, tie them up and gag them?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ipod, headphones, dance music. just don't jump.
  • teamgiff4
    teamgiff4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do yoga on youtube or dvd.. that's quiet and a good workout. Crunch Fitness had good low impact workouts... I like Ellen Barrett. :) Good luck... I have the same problem!
  • DawnRobinson96
    Options
    Again thank you all, I love this site, MOST people give great advice x
  • DawnRobinson96
    Options
    Go outside.

How about kettlebells?

Bring the kid with you?

Move?

Break into your neighbours apartment while they're sleeping, tie them up and gag them?

I'm going to assume that this is sarcasm and just a pointless reply but just in case you are just being a tad uninformed, I'll help you out.

1. A three year old child should be asleep by 8 pm
    2. I've already stated that isn't possible

And for the other two I won't even waste my time. Now take your pointless, unhelpful *kitten* off my post. Thank you
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Go outside.

How about kettlebells?

Bring the kid with you?

Move?

I'm going to assume that this is sarcasm and just a pointless reply but just in case you are just being a tad uninformed, I'll help you out.

1. A three year old child should be asleep by 8 pm
    2. I've already stated that isn't possible

And for the other two I won't even waste my time. Now take your pointless, unhelpful *kitten* off my post. Thank you

18s5mymnywuoqpng.png
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Swings, bodyweight squats, push ups and pull ups in a circuit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk At Home or Jessica Smith Walking videos...these are low impact aerobics. I do these on carpet which muffles the noise further. You can also buy cheap (kids) puzzle mats to put on the floor if needed.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    look on local buy sell sites on facebook or on craigslist for used (and cheap) exercise bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, etc. I've seen them in every imaginable price range including under $50

Treadmills aren't quiet.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Have you considered working out on your lunch break instead of when you get home? Then you can go outside & make all the noise you want :)

Stuff to do inside that is quiet:

squats (bodyweight or with a backpack full of cans if you don't have access/money for dumbbells) pushups (you can do them on your knees or off your kitchen counter if you can't do them reg)
    lunges
    bicep curls and other upper body exercises (again dumbbells or stuff around the house)
    Shadow boxing
    yoga
    go up and down your stairs a bunch of times doing different squats/leg exercises
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What about a morning workout, or a lunch time session?
    If it's an option, maybe walking to work and back? What about a walk after work with your little one, if that's not to late?
    Me personally, I'd just do the workout at home and wouldn't think twice about the person living below... it's your space too and I can't imagine you'll make THAT much noise. :smile:
    Good luck!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    +1 on the kettlebells. You can get a very strong metabolic push with bodyweight work (air squats, push ups, etc.) and mixing in some kettle bell work.