Thank you for the shin splints advice

Options
SDkitty
SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
I have been a runner off and on for the last 6 years or so (took about a 2 year break which is when I gained the weight) and I have always suffered from shin splints. I used to just "play through" the pain until I could barely walk and then I would take a few days off and just not eat those days. (Yes, I had a very unhealthy lifestyle back when I was super skinny) In the last couple of months I started walking and in the last week have graduated myself to the C25k program and lo and behold there was that awful pain gain.

Thanks to all of you I searched some old threads and heard the same old thing about getting good quality proper fitting running shoes and trying to run on the pads of me feet (I've always been a heel->toe arch flattener) and although to see me practically tripping over my own feet in the attempt to alter my foot land must have been hilarious, it really did help. It didn't stop the splints completely but it made it bearable until I shelled out the cash for new sneakers. OMG What a difference proper shoes makes! I ran yesterday and have NO pain today. None. Thank you guys for the advice!

And to the people who suffer from shin splints like I did and who scoffed at the idea of buying quality shoes like I did, I am here to tell you, sometimes you really do get what you pay for! Don't hesitate, buy proper shoes for your stride! :flowerforyou: