Are all calories equal

Options
13»

Replies

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Labeling something crap food just because makes no sense especially when you are completely ignoring context.

Just giving the condensed version of the experiment where the professors diet consisted mostly of what is considered "junk food"- or crap food as I referred to it. Are you really going to try and argue the nutritional goodness of Twinkies and Ho-ho's? It's on par as to what the OP was referring to. The professor wanted to use an example of CICO being effective regardless of calorie source. A calorie is a calorie based on the amount of energy it provides to your body, but not necessarily in the breakdown of nutrients for how it fuels your body.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that a bunch of pasta before a marathon isn't quite the same as a diet consisting nearly entirely of Twinkies and the like for an extended period of time. I also never said it was dumb to eat those. If they fit your goals, then have at it. But they are generally considered junk food. I believe it you who is taking what I've said (which wasn't really something "I" said in the first place) out of context rather than the other way around.
    knt217 wrote: »

Labeling something crap food just because makes no sense especially when you are completely ignoring context.

Just giving the condensed version of the experiment where the professors diet consisted mostly of what is considered "junk food"- or crap food as I referred to it. Are you really going to try and argue the nutritional goodness of Twinkies and Ho-ho's? It's on par as to what the OP was referring to. The professor wanted to use an example of CICO being effective regardless of calorie source. A calorie is a calorie based on the amount of energy it provides to your body, but not necessarily in the breakdown of nutrients for how it fuels your body.
    So let me ask you a question, if you were going to run a 5k or bike ride a couple miles, play some soccer, play a game of basketball etc are you going to tell me that you would rather eat a piece of chicken or some broccoli over a pop tart or some Gummi bears?

You are looking at the nutrient breakdown behind a food in order to label it cap but what you are missing is context. Are you going to say runners are dumb because the day before a marathon they eat a bunch of pasta instead of eating a bunch of fruit?

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    Worrying solely about weight loss is vain... But we're all a little vain so I get it

I'm at a loss for words with how to respond to that statement. Really. I will say that it doesn't seem to come from a person who has ever suffered physically due to their weight.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Short and sweet answer..

I've lost 22kg of fat and doubled my strength in the last 45 weeks while eating:

- takeaway/junk food every week.
    - popcorn, sweets, crisps, chocolate at the weekends
    - anything I feel like eating

I promise you both guys would lose the same amount of weight. The only thing that matters is hitting your calories.

Notice I said "anything I want" and not "as much as I want". Ensure you accurately track calories, double check the numbers.

Long term health is a big consideration. Don't forget that! Choose healthy foods for this reason only - not calories.