Indian Vegetarian women trying to lose weight

Hi,
I am from Northen part of India and moved to USA 15 years ago. All my life I have struggled with weight. I am trying to lose weight now but it is extremly diffucult to go on low carb diets. Since our staple foods are filled with carbs. Is anyone facing these issues?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Not from northern India but I love food. Around here there's a lot of butter chicken, tikka masala. The sauces are typically cream-based. When I make these sauces I replace the cream with low-fat yogurt.

Your protein choices will also be a little higher in carb but if you reduce the rice a little bit and include the high-protein sources more, you can still adjust to slightly higher protein/lower carb meals. I'm guessing the protein sources are beans, lentils, chickpeas.

Even on high carb you can lose weight if you log your foods to a calorie deficit. Work with the MFP tools to set a calorie goal for yourself and work your food portions to meet that.
  • emilyaimlessly
    emilyaimlessly Posts: 1 Member
    I've found that It's not so much about cutting out carbs as it is about picking the right ones. I stick with beans, lentils and brown rice. I've also been experimenting with quinoi, flaxseed and hemp seeds. As long as your carbs are also offering you some protein and fiber, they can be a great staple in a diet plan
  • DeFYneME
    DeFYneME Posts: 97 Member
    Srishti,
    I know what you mean... I'm from India too and while cutting out Roti, dal and rice is not easy... there are lots of options for vegetarians... I'll be sending you a friend request. Hope you wouldn't mind adding me on.
  • hareeshch
    hareeshch Posts: 38 Member
    I eat what ever I want but I weigh everything and document it ..I walk in my house till my fitbit shows at least 8000 steps ..I lost close to 10 lb in past 20 days ..seems like its working for me