80 lbs lost but see no significant difference

Options
2»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I hear ya. I think you probably do have a big difference in your body from those 80 pounds lost.

But it could also be that, when we set out to lose weight, most of us think it's going to be this amazing life-changing thing with bells and whistles and a ticker tape parade when we're done. That all our problems will be solved, that we'll not only be slimmer and healthier, but also happier and more fulfilled.

The truth is, weight loss is just weight loss. Yes, it can be amazing to accomplish those interim or ultimate weight loss goals. But, as big an achievement as it is to have lost all that weight, it isn't going to be the be-all-end-all in life. If we're sad about certain things, or if we feel lonely or struggle with depression or have stress in life or difficulty in relationships, weight loss won't solve those problems.

It can be a bit of a letdown to think, 'okay, I lost all the weight, but my life still isn't amazing'. The only thing to do at that point is to put that feeling into perspective and focus on the things that really matter to you in life. Health in order? Check. What's next?

well said.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying put a picture from your starting weight and a pic from your current weight side by side. You're bound to see a difference. 80 pounds is a huge loss, no matter how high your starting weight. Many never make it to an 80 pound loss. Ask others who will be honest with you if they can see the change. Often others see it long before we do.
  • uriel528
    uriel528 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »
    From your profile pic, you don't in anyway look obese. I'm sure there would be a noticable difference, but you don't have other pictures to compare to. Congrats on the 80 Lbs down. That's a remarkable achievement!

I've mastered the skinny face angle :wink:
    Hahah

When did you start counting the pounds lost? From the heaviest while you were pregnant or after you had the baby? 20-30 pounds fall off immediately when you give birth for obvious reasons, aside from that if you feel like you aren't seeing a difference in the physique part of things although the scale says something else you may need to up the amount of cardio you are doing and add a bit of weight lifting. I realize these are general statements but you get the idea.

Regardless of what weight you are now you are on the right path to getting where you want to be, don't be discouraged by the "look". Part of the problem as to why people fail and abandon a healthy lifestyle is they don't think they are seeing results quick enough, realisticly if you were heavy before hand than you have to set a goal of getting thinner by 2-3 years, and than finally down to "toned" and end game within 3-5. I have a buddy of mine that was close to 400 pounds, he has changed his life around and has lost 90+ pounds but is still very large, but he realizes that it is not an over night nor is it something that happens in a few months.

Give yourself time, stick to your regiment, change your lifestyle and I am sure you will succeed in getting to where you want to be physically, good luck to you in future!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    @MizzMaamI1, you are simply amazing! 80 pounds gone and I bet you look spectacular!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    I've mastered the skinny face angle :wink:
    Hahah

Haha yes, this! A good camera angle is every woman's best friend. And a bad camera angle can make even the slimmest woman look like she's got five chins.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You've got some great responses already. I just wanted to say that you're awesome, keep on at it. Was it your first baby? I remember feeling super down at the changes to my post baby belly. Keep going, you're going in the right direction and you're flipping gorgeous!!!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Perspective is an interesting thing!

I started at 310, and now have lost 71 lbs. Looking at myself, I know I still need to lose a lot more weight to be considered even approaching a healthy BMI. I know this and so I still see all of the rest of my fat in its wonderous glory. I know objectively that I've lost weight as the scale shows a smaller number, and my clothes all look like I'm a child playing dress up in an adult's closet, but as I'm still lumpy and bumpy, it can be hard to see the weight loss.

The last few weeks, however, I have seen people that I've not seen for a few weeks, or months, and all of them have looked at me and told me how good I look, and that I had clearly lost a lot of weight. One lady today (who didn't know that I was working on losing weight) told me that I was the "incredible shrinking lady". This confirms to me that my weight loss is noticeable, and obvious, but it is just my perspective that is off.

I know other people looking at me would think that I need to lose 70 lbs (I do), but in perspective, I must look different, I feel different, and I'm working on being a healthy weight and that is what is important.

Great job on the loss, and remember to try to keep things in perspective. :)

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    echofm1 wrote: »
    Having gone from a size 26 myself to (currently) size 18, trust me, you can see a difference. IN PICTURES. You look at yourself in the mirror every single day. Your brain remembers you as you currently are. So when we look in the mirror, everything looks the same as it always has. Dig out the old pictures, and trust me when I say that there will be a difference.

You can see the difference 80-100 pounds made for me just by looking through my profile pictures. I'm not a special snowflake, and this transformation isn't unusual. Trust me, there's a difference.

You are the same as me! I am in 18's and have lost 75#. Although I see it in the mirror, pictures are more dramatic side by side for sure! Congrats on your loss!
    OP as well! Well done ladies!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way at 80 pounds, until I found a "before" picture that I didn't know I had. I put them side-by-side and compared. That was very helpful in getting my head around how much my body had actually changed.

83015ae49be8599b859abe62634327088223.jpg

How is 80 the same as 100? I just hit 91 pounds loss today and it has been a LONG journey here from 80. :)
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way at 80 pounds, until I found a "before" picture that I didn't know I had. I put them side-by-side and compared. That was very helpful in getting my head around how much my body had actually changed.

83015ae49be8599b859abe62634327088223.jpg

How is 80 the same as 100? I just hit 91 pounds loss today and it has been a LONG journey here from 80. :)

Nice work!!