Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

not lossing the weight!

I have been on a 1200 calorie diet and 100g carbs or less a day....which is like nothing compared to what I was eating before. and I been walking and working out and haven't lost any weight! does any one have this issue? I sware if anything the number on the scale is going up. Frustating!!!

Replies

• dgobbett
    dgobbett Posts: 53 Member
    How long have you been at it ?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Weigh yourself no more than once a week if looking at the number frustrates you. Take measurements of your body and pictures to judge your progress. The scale tends to go up and down too much to be accurate
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    No I don't have this issue, but if your looking for help, you should open your food diary. You may get better advise that way. Good Luck on your fitness journey!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Becky, is your weight loss goal of 142 lbs to go accurate? What is your current weight? (that will affect any answers here)
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Hard to answer this question without your stats, sorry:/
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Open your diary if you wnat a meaninful answer. You really havent provided much useful information. If you really do have 142lbs to lose and you are on 1200 calories then its highly unlikely you arent losing any weight.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Also an open food diary would help us find what's wrong too.
  • lynnski70
    lynnski70 Posts: 4 Member
    Have your thyroid checked. If it's below normal, you won't be able to lose weight.
  • JLa915
    JLa915 Posts: 5 Member
    @811CG story of our life. 10 lbs to lose, scale only going up.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's really hard to answer this question without more details.

How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? It's possible that you're simply being impatient if it's only been a couple of weeks. Especially if you're not sure whether your scale is at the same weight or slightly higher. It makes me question the accuracy of your scale and whether or not you're weighing under the same conditions. You could be losing and just don't have the proper tools to measure the losses.

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    OP Food scale?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    lynnski70 wrote: »
    Have your thyroid checked. If it's below normal, you won't be able to lose weight.

You got links for this outlandish claim?

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Beckyb1108 wrote: »
    100g carbs or less a day
    That right there might be, subtly, the problem. If you're below 100g of carbs, you're going to pull water weight out, and as you get closer to that 100g, the more likely you'll snap some water weight back. This means that you might have been losing a lot of water weight before and now your expectations are high. Or you might be still losing fat but water weight is actually making you increase if you've been near the higher end of 100g a day.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member

I like this article !!
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    ^^ I agree that you should read the above article. Very informative
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Agree with need more info. Looks like you have a lot to lose so 1200 cal a day is probably too low. You should calculate your BMR and TDEE . Stay within these numbers (or 20% under TDEE which is also calculated for you).
    Are you WEIGHING your food? Eyeballing and cups/spoons are notoriously wrong and can lead to eating over your caloric goal.
    Are you drinking water? You should be drinking at least 64oz or more water daily.
    Again more info would be helpful, but these are tips I have learned along this weight loss journey that have helped immensely. Feel free to add me for support!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    100g carbs or less a day
    That right there might be, subtly, the problem. If you're below 100g of carbs, you're going to pull water weight out, and as you get closer to that 100g, the more likely you'll snap some water weight back. This means that you might have been losing a lot of water weight before and now your expectations are high. Or you might be still losing fat but water weight is actually making you increase if you've been near the higher end of 100g a day.
    ?
    Where do you get this information?
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 969 Member
    the article and the links to related articles made for great reading. So glad I read it. OP, I think that you are just eating more than you think. If you haven't already, get yourself a food scale, a set of dry measuring cups, a liquid measuring cup and measuring spoons. Weigh, measure and record everything. I think you will start to see results. When I started weighing and measuring I couldn't believe how much I was eating in comparison to what I THOUGHT I was eating. Sometimes because something will look off I weigh or measure twice to be sure. I think you have to really take and honest look at the amounts you are really eating. I am sure you will be as amazed as I was and it will set you on a more successful path. Good luck.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    100g carbs or less a day
    ?
    Where do you get this information?

It is generally how low carb diets look so effective, they cause people to drop water weight when they give carbs. You can look up low carb water weight in a search engine. It comes down to basic chemistry - if you have more glucose (the ultimate product of carbohydrates) in your blood, you'll have more in you cells, and you'll hold more water in them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet#Water-related_weight_loss