I need advice (:

Options
My goal is to get stronger. So far my main source of exercise has been cardio. Cardio gets boring. Not that you don't need it, but I'm looking to add more body weight exercises and then move into weights. Like I said, I want to get stronger. Anyway, when it comes to anything other than cardio I'm sort of lost. I've been doing research and here's what I've come up with..

Bodyweight excercises

mon/weds/fri

Push-ups 3x10
Plank 30 sec
Lunges 3x10 ea leg
Downward Dog push-up 3x10 (not sure what this is really called)
Squats 3x10
Full body crunches 3x10
20lb chest fly 3x10

Does this look ok for a beginner? Any suggestions? 3 times a week sound right? Cardio in between days?

Thanks a bunch
xx

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What equipment do you have access to?

First, yes... 3x week is probably fine.

I'd make sure squats and push-ups were part of every session. Lunges are great too. Any way you can do some sort of a pull-up? Deadlifts are really the only big thing missing.

Planks are good, but I wouldn't waste your time with crunches at this point.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym. Which completely sucks. And I don't have much equipment at this point. I have 2 10 lb dumbbells. Sad I know. What equipment should I look into getting for my home?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym. Which completely sucks. And I don't have much equipment at this point. I have 2 10 lb dumbbells. Sad I know. What equipment should I look into getting for my home?

Those adjustable/selectable weight dumbbells are a great starting point for most people with limited space. After that I'd look at a bench. Most of the basics can be covered with those 3 things.

If you don't want to go that route, resistance bands can be effective.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I actually have resistance bands. Completely forgot about those. I also have push up bars that I forgot about.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!!!