Walking

Options
The walking category does not give distance. The Leslie Sansone gives steps. I have a pedometer giving steps and mileage, but this program only gives mph and a few other things. I think a brisk walk for 45 minutes & 7,000+ steps is more than 415 calories and my pedometer says 3.8 miles. Any comments?

Replies

• jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A brisk 45 min walk is definitely not over 415 cal burn. The average person burns 100 cal or less per mile. The smaller you are the less you burn. Depends on your distance and heart rate. I do LISS training for 70 min twice a week and I probably burn max like 150 - 200 cal
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh but it's probably less than 400 cal.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight, walking is about 100 calories per mile.

Try this calculator and see if it works for you:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^^ this. Generally 100cals a mile for walking (unless your unusually larger or smaller) and 120cals a mile running.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would say way less than 450. I burn 100 in an 18 minute walk to work... and I'm hustlin. Depends on what your weight is... but most likely significantly less than 450.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    logically max you couldve burned from your stats above is 380, but it is probably a lot lower because burning 100 cal per mile not running is difficult
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    3.8 miles in 45 mins is jogging, not walking. Or am I just that slow of a runner?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's jogging (LOL!). I did a double-take, too. OP may mean kilometers.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    3.8 miles in 45 mins is jogging, not walking. Or am I just that slow of a runner?
    I'm definitely that slow of a runner. Anything over 2 miles and I end up "running" a 15 minute mile, lol. I can do 1 mile at ten minutes, 2 at twelve minutes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The walking category does not give distance. The Leslie Sansone gives steps. I have a pedometer giving steps and mileage, but this program only gives mph and a few other things. I think a brisk walk for 45 minutes & 7,000+ steps is more than 415 calories and my pedometer says 3.8 miles. Any comments?

So many estimates....
    With Leslie Sansone workouts, I log low impact aerobics and the time. This comes close to what my heart rate monitor says. This is likely as accurate as I will get. Warm-up, cool down are slower paced. Not all steps are at 4 MPH.

Outdoor walking is going to vary with speed, incline, etc. This site gives weight categories and MPH: http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

Per the site above a 200 pound person (at 4 MPH) burns 342 calories for 45 minutes. I'm 5'5" and 4 MPH is my top speed on even pavement.

This calculator says 373 (again 200 pounds @ 4 MPH for 45 minutes): http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Other people use Phone apps to gauge distance. MapMyWalk is one...get a couple estimates.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

It has always bugged me but MFP considers 4 mph to be walking. I think even 4.5 mph is walking in the database.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It has always bugged me but MFP considers 4 mph to be walking. I think even 4.5 mph is walking in the database.

4 MPH can be walking (very fast, even pavement like a track).....but 4.5 mph....someone tall could pull this off. I could do 4.2 MPH on a treadmill (I'm 5'5").
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

4 MPH can be walking (very fast, even pavement like a track).....but 4.5 mph....someone tall could pull this off. I could do 4.2 MPH on a treadmill (I'm 5'5").

I agree that 4 mph could be walking. I can walk that fast now. But when I first started running, 4 mph was my top speed. It just made me a bit sad to get in from a run, go to log it, and then see that it was considered a walk by MFP. Didn't make a difference in the long run calorie-wise but it was a bit of a bummer.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I agree that 4 mph could be walking. I can walk that fast now. But when I first started running, 4 mph was my top speed. It just made me a bit sad to get in from a run, go to log it, and then see that it was considered a walk by MFP. Didn't make a difference in the long run calorie-wise but it was a bit of a bummer.

Ooop! Sorry. Yes, that would be annoying...
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Different people move at different speeds.
    I consider under 5 mph to be a walk. 4-5 is a fast walk though
    5-6 mph to be an awkward walk/jog hybrid
    6-7 to be a slow jog
    7-8 to be a normal jog (my avg. marathon pace was 7.914 mph)
    8-12 to be a run
    12+ is getting towards sprinting territory

I'm sure if everyone in the thread listed the speeds they deemed to be walks/jogs/runs/sprints then each list would be different.