How are people burning so many cals?

Options
123457»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    People who burn more calories exercising are generally exercising more.

Case closed. :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    People who burn more calories exercising are generally exercising more.

Case closed. :smile:

:+1:

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I know I burn around 100 calories per mile or per 15 minutes of general exercise. That is a low estimate for what I do, but I just use that as a base and I don't try to track it to the number. I also over estimate food calories. That always leaves me wiggle room.

Just my method though. I don't see how people get caught up in a 100 calories in a day.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of inaccuracy. Or people are doing a higher intensity workout. For instance I can burn a lot on a rowing machine with the damper on 10. And when I run there is a huge difference between my tempo runs vs. my slow runs. I burn a lot of calories because I'm a distance runner but I also have the luxury of being able to spend two hours a day on working out. Some people have that time. In the space of an hour if you want to burn 500 start by rowing 5000-7000 meters or run thirty minutes at a good pace. Jumping rope is great too. Generally speaking rowing and running burn about 6/700 calories per hour. Not much else is going to burn that many calories. With that said weight lifting gives lasting benefits beyond the calories burned.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    In case anybody actually cares about these so called "simple alothograms" Or the science inside of your HRM.
    Here is a link to a white paper discussing First beat technologies whom is one of the suppliers for HRMs for both consumer products like Garmin , sumoto, ect and for professional use.

Here is the white paper on HRM energy expenditure
    http://www.firstbeat.com/userData/firstbeat/download/white_paper_energy_expenditure_estimation.pdf

Peer reviewed reserch and white papers on HRM , energy expenditure , ect
    http://www.firstbeat.com/physiology/research-and-publications

it's interesting to note that the white paper mentions:

The method can be used in all conditions, from rest to maximal exercise, and also allows detailed measurements during dynamically changing exercise and resting conditions.

And from one if the research papers

"Some of the values at low exercise intensities were markedly underestimated, but the agreement was better during light and heavy activities"

So it would seem that, according to them and their research, when a HRM uses the first beat algo. then it may be used for low intensity exercise (walking, etc) and HIIT.

ETA:
    And see also:http://www.firstbeat.com/userData/firstbeat/download/smolander_et_al_ecss_2007_congress.pdf

ETA again:

Eat your enriched yogurt. From their research page...

Chronic stress has a negative influence on health. The aim was to determine stress reducing effects of yoghurt enriched with bioactive components as compared to normal yoghurt. High-trait anxiety individuals (n = 67) aged 18–63 years participated in a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded intervention with parallel groups. They received either yoghurt enriched with alpha-lactalbumin, casein tripeptides and B vitamins (active) or isoenergetic standard yoghurt (control). To detect changes in psychological and physiological stress, State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Profile of Mood States, salivary cortisol, inflammatory markers, blood pressure, heart rate variability (HRV) and actigraphy were monitored. We observed higher ratings of vigor (p = 0.047) and reduced feeling of inefficiency (p = 0.048) in the active group. HRV (baseline adjusted mean 49.1 ± 2.3 ms) and recovery index (106.6 ± 33.4) were higher in the active group than in controls (42.5 ± 2.2 ms and 80.0 ± 29.3) (p = 0.046 and p = 0.02, respectively). In conclusion, daily intake of yoghurt enriched with bioactive components may aid in stress coping.

• jimmyabbot02
    jimmyabbot02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am also want to know, but in my case it is related to my stomach.

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I know I burn around 100 calories per mile or per 15 minutes of general exercise. That is a low estimate for what I do, but I just use that as a base and I don't try to track it to the number. I also over estimate food calories. That always leaves me wiggle room.
    Personally, I don't want to get caught up in the science of burning calories. I really don't care how the number is figured out. I just want to make sure that I'm not estimating my burn too high and subsequently eating back too many calories. I like your idea of 100 calories per mile/15 minutes of exercise. It seems like a good flat number that probably averages out over whatever time span your workout is. I don't need precision, just a good solid estimate.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow, all this science! Physics, biology, maths & chemistry in one thread...very informative! Thanks
  • Kimmy82109
    Kimmy82109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My daily exercise routine is usually two 30-40min walks(about 320ish cal burn total) and I use the elliptical 2x day for 90min total with high resistance which is 800-900cal burn.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    @evgenizyntx Strange indeed seeing a food pop up in that study, Glad at least a few people found the info worth reading, it's always nice to have some idea how the world around us works. :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    @evgenizyntx Strange indeed seeing a food pop up in that study, Glad at least a few people found the info worth reading, it's always nice to have some idea how the world around us works. :smile:

Oh, I love that stuff, it's a shame that few of the research papers or the actual models are made available.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    What we have here is a case of proof by assertion.
    I'm finished with it.

This is no more than high school physics and chemistry really.

Even basic science doesn't play well on MFP.

It happens all too often doesn't it?
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me feel better about recording my exercise calories somewhat conservatively... I'm usually between 100 and 200 calories for a 30 minute strength/cardio blend workout (200 range only if it includes HIIT), and 300 calories for a 5K very hilly walk (takes me 50 mins).
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not all HRM are correct, some are just rough estimators and others are legitimate and proven. For example, I am a lecturer at a university and recently I started research on rats running HIIT on a treadmill with my colleagues from Sport and Exercise department. I was a HIIT fanatic and for that reason I started this research, however, becoming friend with lecturers from sport and exercise dep, who are all legit athletes, helped me learn a lot of things. One is that my personal trainer became a lady who was a regular on world competitions in weight lifting, the other was that my new friends could measure my exact VOmax, fat content etc (when we were not playing with rats running on a treadmill). Since they do a lot of research on elite athletes , such as our basketball and football teams that are in the national league, I asked them how they measure zones, HR and calories. The guy that does the basketball-based research took me to his lab which was like full with Polar chest straps and other Polar equipment that you cannot buy in the shop or online. They told me that Polar and Mio technology will give me correct HR, BUT that does not mean that calorie estimate will be correct, HR will be correct and I now just go by HR and do zone training because my zones will be relatively correct as they are based on HR which I can measure properly. I use both Polar and MioFuse HRM and they match 99%. I use digifit to see my graph of HR and zones in real time as I exercise and that is all I need. As many others said, different apps will give you different number of calories burned for the same HR data, but honestly who cares? I use the calories just to benchmark myself as I know that my HRM is consistent, so I can see if I performed better or worse than last week and I can clearly set my weekly and monthly goals. I do not eat back my calories as I am very bad in logging my food but I produce my own food (mini-farm) and I am vegan. There is no need to over-measure, I just want to make sure I have goals to stick to (calories per week, time in zone 4 and 5 in minutes per week and number of workouts per week).
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    The simple solution as stated in many threads and posts is to not eat back your exercise calories, or just eat back, say, 50%. I use the Polar A360 HRM simply because I want to track my heart rate and zones. I am well aware that the calorie number is pretty arbitrary. I hardly ever eat back any exercise calories accordingly, but I don't think my numbers are super wacky.

I have seen people post 1200 calories burned for an hour of elliptical work. I have seen many more outlandish numbers. I don't take any of it too seriously. I just feel bad for those people who do, and find they're stuck early on because they're eating these huge amounts of calories to "make up" for the entire day's worth they think they're burning in one hour.