scales yay or nay

Options
Are scales a good idea or should I just go by my clothes. They only problem I have at the moment is that in different shops I am different sizes (which does drive me mad, don't see why they are not all the same)... In a huge debate is to get scales or not as I don't not want to become obsessive...anyone help...how often are you meant to weigh yourself? Etc... Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Measurements are a much better indicator of results imo. So are photos. Get yourself a tape measure, and have someone take photos every few weeks (in underwear, front back and side).

If you have a lot to lose scales will easily shown progression, but if you're not worried about a number I wouldn't stress about the weight so much
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I went by my clothes, I wouldn't know that I've lost 20 lbs.

How often you weigh is up to you. Too frequent and you might lose your mind at every ounce of water weight you lose or gain. Weekly is good if you have a lot to lose and are making faster progress. If you only have 10 or 20 to go, progress will be slow, so maybe monthly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How often you weigh (which should be no more than once a day if you can handle the fluctuations up and down, weekly or less otherwise) is less important than making sure you do it in a consistent situation: generally right after you wake up, after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking anything.

Scale+measurements+clothing feel+pictures will ALL be excellent tools to see how you're doing. You may not see much of a loss on the scale and lose an inch all over.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its personal taste and you are best using them according to your personality. Find out where you are.

Infrequent or non weighers do so because they can get obssessive, get demoralised and cannot deal with the constant movements, ive also seen it said some people find it motivating becayse longer periods allow them to have more of a weight loss and its claimed this motivates them.

If you cant deal with fluctuations, will get deterred or obssessive then weigh weekly , fornightly, monthly or not at all.

In contrast frequent weighers daily or more (assuming they are doing it correctly) find it motivates them because its data and it keeps them on track. They maximise consistency by same place same time of day (normally morning after the loo) and before breakfast. They dont get put off by a days reading and look for a trend (down).

I weigh daily, but I can deal with the fluctuations as its all data. I find them fascinating and it gives me peace of mind that my efforts arent going the other way, in which case I can do something about it. If I get a good number im encouraged, if im getting bad numbers, then i work harder. I stay on top of it, but I can imagine a run of bad numbers would upset some people and so they should weigh less frequently. the scales arent going to move as a trend unless you have eaten less or burned more.

Using how clothes fit is an ok test, just as in the mirror or tape measure is fine, just different. You should use several measure. I also use how I perform in the gym cardio and resistance and log all that information to show progress. It gives a more complete picture on how you are doing. Pick which suits you. You can always change.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd get a scale (just my preference) and this is good advice:
    How often you weigh is up to you. Too frequent and you might lose your mind at every ounce of water weight you lose or gain. Weekly is good if you have a lot to lose and are making faster progress. If you only have 10 or 20 to go, progress will be slow, so maybe monthly.

I weigh weekly. Daily would drive me insane.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Daily and the numbers get plugged in automatically into www.trendweight.com and www.weightgrapher.com for smoothing.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I found daily weigh-ins to be highly motivating when I was losing weight. Now that I'm not losing anymore I don't even check it weekly.
  • Treadaway39
    Treadaway39 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are scales a good idea or should I just go by my clothes. They only problem I have at the moment is that in different shops I am different sizes (which does drive me mad, don't see why they are not all the same)... In a huge debate is to get scales or not as I don't not want to become obsessive...anyone help...how often are you meant to weigh yourself? Etc... Thanks

• smileysarah66
    smileysarah66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I use scales to monitor progress, and clothing size to determine when I reach my ultimate goal.
  • smileysarah66
    smileysarah66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well I have done it, I av brought some scales...it is some physical as well to look at when all you want to do is eat chocolate and junk :)