yoga for beginners

I am looking into starting yoga. I have never done yoga before. I can't afford a gym membership so joining a class isn't an option. For those of you who do yoga, what is a good way to start? Can you recommend a good video? I do have a Wii, is there a good yoga workout for the Wii?

Replies

• cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    I just started this weekend! I really like Brett Larkins videos on YouTube. Brettlarkinyoga is her name thing. A friend of mine said too, pick one form you really want to be able to do well. That gives you a goal and makes it more personal.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    There are a lot of good youtube yoga videos. I like Esther Ekhart and yoga by candace. I would just advise you to be REALLY careful, because form for beginners is super important, and when you are using a video you don't get teacher feedback. You have to be your own teacher and pay attention to what your body looks like, and minding the cues.
  • alucardd20
    alucardd20 Posts: 39 Member
    sher80bear wrote: »
    I am looking into starting yoga. I have never done yoga before. I can't afford a gym membership so joining a class isn't an option. For those of you who do yoga, what is a good way to start? Can you recommend a good video? I do have a Wii, is there a good yoga workout for the Wii?

Check Diamond Dallas Paige's yoga aka DDP Yoga, it's really easy yoga and it has a lot of success with folks. While the guy is a former wrestler (fake one not real) he has motivated and changed the lives of many folks in their upper 400s to others who are nearly crippled to turn their lives around. Lots of folks of different weights and ranges enjoy his workouts as he is very entertaining and puts the fun in his yoga for you.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Be very careful! Yoga is something that if it isn't done correctly can hurt you. It is a terrific way to get that flexibility back and reduce falls. But if done badly you can hurt your back and joints. I really do recommend going to a yoga instructor until you know what you are doing. Here in Australia a lot of the city councils run free yoga sessions as a part of healthy living programs. I believe they have them in the UK as well. Nothing like that where you live?
  • sher80bear
    sher80bear Posts: 22 Member
    I live in an isolated town in Alaska. There is a gym with yoga classes but I can't afford the gym fee of $55 per month plus $400 registration fee or the class fee of $20 per class. Going to 2 classes a week would cost me $40 per week. I am short on money but I want to improve my health. There are no free wellness classes here. I understand that form is important and if done wrong, yoga can cause problems. I don't want the negative effects but I would like to increase flexibility and strengthen my muscles. That is why I am asking for a good source for a beginner.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Also on YouTube is Yoga With Adrienne. She is super cute & the flows are solid. Her beginner stuff is helpful. Try googling or YouTube searching for "hatha yoga." It is a good starter yoga style. Unless you dive into advanced stuff, you are not going to harm yourself...yoga is hard at the top end, but it takes a LOT to get there. Don't get psyched out, yoga is great! :)
  • teppy000
    teppy000 Posts: 1 Member
    I agree about yoga with Adriene. Try the 20min yoga for the complete beginner. Also you might be able to do the first class free at your local gym.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    A lot of times there will be free or donation based yoga classes offered at local studios once a week. Check around and see what's available in your area!
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    sher80bear wrote: »
    I live in an isolated town in Alaska. There is a gym with yoga classes but I can't afford the gym fee of $55 per month plus $400 registration fee or the class fee of $20 per class. Going to 2 classes a week would cost me $40 per week. I am short on money but I want to improve my health. There are no free wellness classes here. I understand that form is important and if done wrong, yoga can cause problems. I don't want the negative effects but I would like to increase flexibility and strengthen my muscles. That is why I am asking for a good source for a beginner.
    That makes it difficult. Are there any private yoga teachers in your area? Sometimes they can be much cheaper than a gym. If you get a few like minded people together it can also be much cheaper. I really worry about people trying to learn off a video. Could you afford to do classes for a month or so then do it at home when you have learned the principles?