Whoa Panera - Watch the Sodium, Please!

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    today for lunch I tried Panera's new lentil and quinoa broth bowl with chicken. I wanted something high in protein because I was headed to the gym.

Calories: 410 = fine
    Carbs: 52 g = fine
    Fat: 9 g = fine
    Protein: 34 g = excellent!
    Sugar: 5 g = fine
    Sodium: 1390 = you've got to be kidding me! Put me over my sodium allowance today. :s

News flash...pretty much anything you get at any restaurant is going to be a sodium bomb....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    1300mg is over your daily consumption?

1500mg is the DRI.

However, that is easy to go over.

However, it won't kill you*, so I wouldn't worry about it.

*Underlying medical conditions not included in this statement.

She just said that put her over her sodium allowance. I'm sure that wasn't the only thing she ate that day so she probably meant that it played a huge contributing factor in her going over her sodium allowance. I still agree that without medical conditions, it's not a big deal.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    1300mg is over your daily consumption?

1500mg is the DRI.

However, that is easy to go over.

However, it won't kill you*, so I wouldn't worry about it.

*Underlying medical conditions not included in this statement.

She just said that put her over her sodium allowance. I'm sure that wasn't the only thing she ate that day so she probably meant that it played a huge contributing factor in her going over her sodium allowance. I still agree that without medical conditions, it's not a big deal.

Well, she COULD just eat nothing else that contains sodium (I realize this is practically impossible).
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Here is why you shouldn't consume an excess amount of salt

CON: Too much salt can cause hypertension
    The number one medical problem of high salt intake is hypertension. High intake of salt causes water retention and promotes abnormal influx of water molecules into your blood vessels. This action instantaneously increases your blood volume and blood pressure. Sudden rises of blood pressure can trigger life threatening cardiovascular emergencies like strokes and heart attacks.

CON: Too much salt can cause osteoporosis
    Sodium prevents your body’s absorption and utilization of calcium, leading to weak and brittle bones. Women after menopause, diabetics and elderly people who are already at high risk of osteoporosis should be especially careful about their salt intake.

CON: Too much salt can lead to dehydration and swelling
    Feeling thirsty after eating something salty happens because excessive sodium in your blood draws water out of your cells and into your tissues. Dehydrated cells signal your brain for water. Having fluid filled tissue makes you look bloated and swollen, and these symptoms are especially severe in the lower parts of your body. Reducing your salt intake is an effective way of preventing a swollen body.

CON: Too much salt can cause kidney disorders
    All the excess sodium you consume that is not used by your body goes into your urine. This can increase the filtration load of your kidneys and increase the likelihood of crystal formation. Elevated blood pressure and blood volume are also extremely damaging to your kidneys.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    When I eat in restaurants...and its not very often...I CANT drink enough water the rest of the day...I am just so loaded down with salt.

I stay away from this as much as possible.

I don't want to hear when I am 70yrs old "remember ALL THAT salt you ate along the way well"

Who the heck says that?

Seriously.

I never track sodium and didn’t realize other people were so intense about it. I really wonder how important it is. I recently noticed Quest bars have a fair amount of sodium. My guess is, that’s a big part of the reason they taste so good. I actually try to eat more salt. Sometimes I put it in my coffee. I have really low BP so I love the salt.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Most any premade soup is high sodium, but Panera soups seems especially salty to me. I don't like most of their soups because they taste more like salt than anything else.

Agreed.

It's tough with pre-made food...extra sodium is so often a mask for mediocre ingredients...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Was the bowl good, though? I'm seriously thinking about going there for lunch.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I do not like overly salty foods. And I have osteoporosis so I do need to watch my sodium intake. I'm usually under MFP's recommended daily sodium allowance, but yes, Panera threw me way over that day. And no, Panara wasn't the only thing I ate that day.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not much a soup person, nor do I track my sodium, so with a grain of 'salt' I say - the only problem I have with Panera is how far away the closest one is from me.