losing inches but not weight

Options
I've been on my weight loss journey for a month and a half and lost 3lbs right in the beginning but I haven't dropped a pound since then..although I've been losing inches it's a little discouraging to step on the scale and see the same number..has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes. The scale tells you how much you weigh. It doesn't tell you the quality of that weight. They scale doesn't know if it's weighing 100lbs of gold, or 100lbs of lead. All it knows is that whatever it is, it weighs 100 pounds.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. But 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat. If you're losing inches, then is sounds as though you're losing the thing that took up more space. For example, if you lost 2lbs of fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle, according to the scale, you still weigh the same. But your body composition has changed. It's best to measure yourself. Don't count on things like the BMI because like the scale, it has no idea what your body composition is like. Take a look at the image below: According to the BMI, both guys are identical when they're in fact night and day:

lypimi7kt28s.jpg
  • LeeAnn254
    LeeAnn254 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. It's been 5 weeks but, haven't lost a lb. I have lost inches though and people comment on what a difference they see. I measure and take pictures that's when I can see the difference. It's frustrating as hell.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    RossAH wrote: »
    Yes. The scale tells you how much you weigh. It doesn't tell you the quality of that weight. They scale doesn't know if it's weighing 100lbs of gold, or 100lbs of lead. All it knows is that whatever it is, it weighs 100 pounds.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. But 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat. If you're losing inches, then is sounds as though you're losing the thing that took up more space. For example, if you lost 2lbs of fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle, according to the scale, you still weigh the same. But your body composition has changed. It's best to measure yourself. Don't count on things like the BMI because like the scale, it has no idea what your body composition is like. Take a look at the image below: According to the BMI, both guys are identical when they're in fact night and day:

lypimi7kt28s.jpg

If she's eating at a deficit, she's not gaining muscle.

OP, a few questions:

Do you weigh yourself at the same time, under the same conditions?
    Do you weigh your food?
    Can you open your diary?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    After my initial drop of 20#, my weight has stayed constant for months, but I lost over 4 inches on my waist. Given the choice between that or remain big waist but lower weight, I'll take being slimmer.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It can be discouraging but at least you're seeing results and IMO the best kind! I think it is important to ask yourself or consider the weight you want vs. the body you want. Often people who build muscle look smaller while weighing more than those who weigh less but have no muscle - all about body composition (Ross AH spoke to this in the above post).
  • margiethinner
    margiethinner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above, my weight has stalled and is finally starting to move again at a slow pace, but I'm definetly losing inches, I take my measurements every month to keep track, we all love to see smaller numbers on the scale it will happen eventually until then be proud of what your doing.. :)
  • jackiereaves
    jackiereaves Posts: 95 Member
    Options

lypimi7kt28s.jpg

Thank u so much that makes a lot of sense, I was getting bummed out constantly watching the scale instead of seeing the big picture
  • jackiereaves
    jackiereaves Posts: 95 Member
    Options

lypimi7kt28s.jpg

OP, a few questions:

Do you weigh your food?
    Can you open your diary?

Yes I usually weigh myself once a week at the gym after a working out.
    I don't weight food though, I have a portion control plate that I use for meals, I'm not sure if that works as well as weighing my food though?
    & yes I have my diary open now
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

lypimi7kt28s.jpg

OP, a few questions:

Do you weigh your food?
    Can you open your diary?

Yes I usually weigh myself once a week at the gym after a working out.
    I don't weight food though, I have a portion control plate that I use for meals, I'm not sure if that works as well as weighing my food though?
    & yes I have my diary open now

Do you have a body scale at home? I'm not entirely sure that weighing post work out is accurate. I'd think there were a lot of variables in play at that point - specifically hydration.

Weighing your food is always going to be more accurate. I highly recommend getting a food scale. It's really eye opening.

When you log your food like "carne asada" - is that your recipe? Or one from the database?
  • TheRoseRoss
    Options

You can eat in a deficit while building muscle. That's where managing macro nutrients, and not just counting calories comes into play. Building muscle is not about being in a caloric surplus. You can get most of your calories from carbs and fats (I'm not saying that carbs and fats are "bad"), be in a caloric surplus, and not build muscle. Building muscle requires being in positive nitrogen balance, almost in spite of your caloric deficit/surplus. You can take in less calories than your body burns (resulting in fat loss) while consuming enough protein to achieve a positive nitrogen balance, and still build muscle.
  • TheVirgoddess
    edited April 2015
    Options

You can eat in a deficit while building muscle. That's where managing macro nutrients, and not just counting calories comes into play. Building muscle is not about being in a caloric surplus. You can get most of your calories from carbs and fats (I'm not saying that carbs and fats are "bad"), be in a caloric surplus, and not build muscle. Building muscle requires being in positive nitrogen balance, almost in spite of your caloric deficit/surplus. You can take in less calories than your body burns (resulting in fat loss) while consuming enough protein to achieve a positive nitrogen balance, and still build muscle.

People can build muscle in a deficit - but a very small and carefully managed deficit, with a progressive lifting program in place. So not the average new-to-weight-loss person. It's very hard, especially for women to "accidentally" gain muscle and to imply otherwise is pretty ridiculous.

You are telling someone that you know nothing about (her diet, her body, her goals) that she's gaining muscle. You have NO idea if this is true. I don't understand why you'd think that's okay.
  • LeeAnn254
    LeeAnn254 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a food scale. I did it a couple days ago and realized I was eating way to much food. Way to much. Since then the scale has dropped 2lbs. Also looking at your dairy your eating way to much sugar. Eat clean non processed food as much as possible and water instead of flavored drinks.
  • TheRoseRoss
    Options
    You are telling someone that you know nothing about (her diet, her body, her goals) that she's gaining muscle. You have NO idea if this is true. I don't understand why you'd think that's okay.

What I said was:
    - The scale only shows a number. That number doesn't tell us anything about the composition of our bodies ie "how much of it is muscle, fat, or water weight"
    - She is losing inches, but is discouraged because the number on the scale hasn't changed. The fact that she's losing inches suggests that her body is changing, and she should be more concerned with what those changes are, than she should be worried about the number on the scale not moving. Hence my comment: "your body composition has changed. It's best to measure yourself."
    - Don't take things like the number on the scale, or "tests" like the BMI to heart, because they only consider quantity, not quality

I never said that she was gaining muscle. I said that it is possible she is gaining muscle while losing fat, hence the lost inches, yet unchanging scale.
    - Were she simply losing fat, she would lose inches, but the scale would lower due to the decrease in fat.
    - Were she losing muscle, she would lose inches, but the number on the scale would lower due to the decrease in muscle mass.
    - Were she dehydrated and losing water weight, the number on the scale would lower.

The number on the scale has remained constant, while her body has gotten smaller. That means she is losing something that weighs x but replacing it with something that weighs the same (hence no change in the scale), yet takes up less space (hence the lose in inches that she reported).