I was thinking about swimming laps

Options
I haven't been to the gym in so long, and I was thinking about starting to swim laps a few times a week. Is this a good workout or should I do something else? I have always loved swimming, and nothing else got me to the gym.

Replies

• 74Brian74
    74Brian74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd say do it! Low impact, full body workout. The better your technique becomes, the farther and faster you will be able to swim. I train twice a week with a Masters' swim team. I'd recommend looking one up for some ideas on how to have better technique, as well as to make it more exciting than "swimming laps".
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The best workout is the one you will do. If you enjoy it, go for it.

And yes, even if it wasn't what you enjoyed most, it is a good workout.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Swimming can be a great workout if you have the stamina for it (something I'm still working on). However, I have found that next to heavy lifting, nothing makes me nearly as hungry as a swim workout.
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day 2 of this commitment to tracking my food and actually moving...and I have hit the pool...and boy oh boy my legs are sore!

Eons ago I was in the best shape of my life and lap swimming is how I got there. At my best I'd do 2 miles then cool down with the backstroke and kick-board...lol...it'll be interesting to see how long it take to get back to being in that sort of groove. Right now I'm doing a lap at a time, not counting them, but working in that pool for 30 minutes.

Gotta say, aside from the soreness, I feel more loose, flexible, and perkier than I have been in a long while - and that's with only 2 days in.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, swimming has always made me super hungry too. Even at the pool with my kids the other day I thought I was going to starve to death. I wonder if it's the colder water.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some goggles and a swim cap and go for it. I like to swim one length as fast as I can and then wade back to the start and repeat 10-12 times.
  • justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do it and I love it. I have putzed around in the pool for a couple months but last week got serious. I do 10 laps, rest, 12, rest, 14, rest on so forth until I can go no more. Friday I did 200 laps. (25 meter pool), Saturday I got in 150 before I got horrible legs cramps that went from my shin to the middle of my foot and if I tried to flex a little to relax it, my calves turned into huge knots. That part was ugly. I took Sunday off, and Monday got back to 180 before the cramps started again. Eats lots of potasium, keep a water bottle on the deck and drink at every rest and listen to your body, Extended swims if you use proper kick form can be the hardest part.. that's a weird position to keep your foot in for long periods and the first couple weeks, don't push off the walls too hard, it def can cause your calves to knot up.

I have found that headphones were a huge help too. I have a set of Pyre that have a built in MP3 player. Makes a huge difference for me.

My plan is to swim at least 4 days a week and once I get past the cramping, each week I'll drop out the lowest rep and add a rep on the high end (So I'll start at 12 and go til I hit 30, etc.) Once you get started, you'll fall for it all over again. It's an amazing work out, cardio, legs, arms, no impact, and as we come into summer, no better way to spend a hot day. Come on in, the waters fine! ;)
  • hujio
    hujio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Swimming is so good! Full body workout - you'll feel sore after a good session in muscles you rarely use otherwise. Do watch out for the hunger thing though, don't want to eat back all those calories!
  • cathiggs
    cathiggs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! and most def yes! swimming is a great cardio workout along side my weight training i go swimming 2-3 times a week!