High Protein Vegetarian Dinners (Winter)

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
edited April 2015 in Recipes
So, where I live it is just about mid-autumn, and it is already quite cold.

I know that this is relative and many on hear would laugh at the idea that 11-19 degrees (Celsius) is cold. So for the purpose of this, please just imagine YOUR definition of winter.

I'm looking for healthy soups, stews, casseroles, ect that are fairly high in protein (not fussed on whether or not they are low carb) and vegetarian (ovo-lacto). I had a bunch of recipes saved last year, but that computer crashed and I am lazy about backing up files.

I like one-pan dishes where I can make 4 servings at a time and have leftovers. I cook for myself and an omnivorous significant other, so depending on the recipe I sometimes divide the dish and add chicken or tuna to half of it. So meat recipes that can be adapted are cool too.

Please if you have any favourite recipes you think I might like, let me know!

Don't have:

-Slow-cooker
- Oven-safe frying pan

Do have:
- Food processor
- Potatoes that I should probably use before they grow extra parts, mutate and walk out of my pantry.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    How about hash? (I'm assuming no "oven-safe" frying pan means you do have a range-top safe pan.) For your SO you could brown some meat (e.g., sausage, ham, bacon) in a separate pan. Meanwhile, chop onions (or shallots, garlic, or leeks), bell peppers if you like them, any other veggies that sound good to you (I like tomatoes or cabbage), and shred or dice the potatoes (small dice, so they'll cook quickly), fry in a generous amount of fat, until crispy and browned to your liking. Remove some of the veggies to the pan with the meat. Top each serving with at least one fried or poached egg. Add a little cheese (I like parmesan on this) and/or greek yogurt. Maybe not super high in protein, but very yummy.

Or you could just bake the potatoes and top/fill with your favorite veggie chili, and shredded chicken, beef, or pork for your SO. Top with cheddar or jack cheese and greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling we live in the same area... I'm currently sitting next to a heater with a big blanket over me and a dressing gown on. It's cold!

I'm a vegetarian but I try to eat low carb so I can't help with the potatoes. Looking through some of my recently logged recipes, I have:

Sweet potato chilli: 220 calories a serve, 10 grams of protein
    Ratatouille: 102 calories a serve, 6 grams of protein (I served this with other things to bump up the protein)
    Quinoa chilli: 304 calories a serve, 13 grams of protein

For these types of meals I always add cheese to them to help add protein, and depending on your tastes you can use plain greek yoghurt in place of sour cream (I like the Black Swan brand). Chilli is really easy to make and you can add as many different kinds of beans as you want (especially since you're not worried about carbs).

I recently ordered the Oh She Glows cookbook and it has a number of recipes I'm excited to try this winter, including a tex-mex casserole, indian lentil cauliflower soup and a recipe that's listed under breakfast but I'll probably have it for lunch/dinner called "loaded savoury oatmeal and lentil bowl".