Not sure what to do...

Options
dterpsy
dterpsy Posts: 27 Member
It's nearing the end of the day. I am pretty much maxed out on my calories, and slightly over on carbs and fat - not a lot, but over. However, I am under on my protein by 30 grams. Is that significant? Should I have a high-protien snack to bring that macro up, even though it will push me further over on everything else? Or is it better for my overall health to say forget it, close enough, I'll be sure to get more protein tomorrow? I'm not trying to lose weight, just make healthy choices to maintain my current weight.

Any advice?

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat a protein rich snack. If you're not, don't. You're overthinking :-)
  • dterpsy
    dterpsy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. It's just my personality to want to do everything "right", you know? Follow all the rules, that's me! Thanks for the gentle smack upside the head to help me see straight. :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The main thing you want to do is be close to your calorie goal - I tend to shoot for being within 50-100 calories of it without going over too often. Since you're trying to maintain, I would say try to be within 100 calories of your goal - over or under is fine, as long as you're not always over by 100!

Once you can do that consistently, evaluate what you're eating and start tweaking your diet to meet those macros IF you want to.

Some people choose to focus on protein & fat (often fiber, too) and meet those goals, letting everything else just fall as it will. Some want to meet all the goals and make adjustments as necessary.

My recommendation: experiment with foods a little & figure out what keeps you fuller longer. Is it protein & fat? Is it carbs? Is it a bit of both? Tweak your macros to match what you find to be true for YOU, and go with that.

The way to do this "right" is to listen to your body and fuel it like it wants to be fueled. :)

~Lyssa