carbo loading before extreme hike

Options
Hi all, wonder if any of you have any experience with carbo loading before an extreme hike or any extreme endurance event. Soon I'm expecting to take an extreme hike--up to 34 miles with 10,000 feet of gain/loss in one day--it will take at least 16 hours. Should I eat a bunch of carbs in the 2 or three days leading up to the event?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can, but what you fuel on during the hike is a lot more important. Also the intensity should probably allow a lot of your calories to come from body fat compared to your glycogen stores. (And yes i have hiked 34 miles in one day, so this is personal experience)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Unlike fat, the body has a limited glycogen ( carbs ) storage.
    Your storage will vary based on muscle mass and adaptation but in general
    Your muscles store about 400 grams and can only be used in the muscle it is stored in
    Your liver stores about 100 grams and can be transported anywhere needed
    There is about 25 grams circulating in your blood ready for instant use.
    Beyond that any carbs that can not be stored as glycogen is stored as fat.

Eating carbs during your hike, as a rule of thumb you can digest 1 gram every minute so shoot for 30 grams per 1/2 hour.

I would suggest you eat the same on your training hikes as plan to on your big hike day. In other words do not just start slamming
    Energy bars the day of your big hike, eating that much sugar on an empty stomach all of a sudden can cause some folks castric issues.
  • burd0002
    burd0002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, the intensity is not high enough to require carb loading and as already mentioned the majority of your energy will be taken from fat. Don't under eat the day before. Eat plenty of food and drink plenty of water during the hike and you will be fine as long as you have are in good health.