Chic-Fil-A

Options
As a treat for my son we often stop at Chik-Fil-A before his swim class so that he can play in the kids area. I am working hard to avoid fast food but would feel bad to stop taking him because I am making a lifestyle change. What are recommendations for a healthier meal here?

Replies

• Heidi_20
    Heidi_20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken kids meal with fruit cup is always a good option!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Their grilled chicken club is only about 400 calories and is actually very food. Skip the fries and get a side salad instead.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken nuggets combo and swap the fries for a side salad or a fruit cup. With an unsweetened tea or diet coke it's under 400 cals! Nothing there is absolutely horrible as long as you avoid the fries!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with racheljonel. Chick-Fil-A is one of the better fast food options, esp because they don't put sauce on their snadwiches. You can get the char grilled chicken sandwich, but even the fried one is not that bad. Get it with lettuce and tomato and a fruit cup rather than fries. Healthy and nutritious.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    Thanks! I have been on the website and gotten some good ideas. I need to make sure that I go there with a menu in mind so I know what to log :)
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken club combo wrapped in lettuce instead of bun
    Fruit cup instead of fries
    Unsweet tea or diet soda
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if it's only once a week or so, let him enjoy it. It's important for kids to learn to enjoy food, including the ones considered less healthy, in moderation. It's not like you're taking him there everyday, and I'm sure he's having plenty of healthy foods the rest of the week, so really don't worry. The protein is good for him, and he'll be burning extra calories during his swimming class.

If it's several times a week, then maybe do fast food one day a week, and other options he likes on other days.
  • letterfromthesky
    Options
    I still eat there now and then. Grilled nuggets are a solid choice. I find that I usually pick fries and have water or a pop and a fruit cup. That way I still am hitting the craving (french fries and pop are my cryptonite) but not over indulging it!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I love chick fila and I cant pass on the waffle fries so I usually get a 4 piece nuggets kids meal and use 3 tubes of ketchup. With a diet lemonade its under 600 calories. I love chickfila sauce but its 140 calories a serving so I cant swing that anymore.
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    I always check online for the nutritional info before going out to eat, whether to a restaurant or fast food. I try to plan my meal before I even leave the house so I'm not tempted to look much at the menu and risk changing my mind and I've come to learn a few options I can have at different places in my area in case we make an unplanned stop...if I have no idea I usually stick w/ grilled chicken or something and avoid fries because those alone are easily around 300 calories depending on the portion size.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    For the past few months it has been a once a week trip prior to his swim class. I really am tired of Chic-Fil-A as we have it so often, but, it is his treat. He is a healthy 4 yr. old. His meal normally consists of the 4 pc. nugget kids meal with either a fruit cup or apple sauce with a chocolate milk. He is not big on fries :) I did notice that the cole slaw is high on calories so that will be off my list - bummer, it was good!
  • lkrause74
    lkrause74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love their grilled chicken sandwich. I just get it without mayo and grab a packet and put a little on myself so I can control how much mayo goes on it. :) Its yum & lower in fat and calories. :)
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I find that Chic-Fil-A is one of the better fast food offerings and my kids also love to play in their play ground area as well. I have been there twice since starting MFP - the first time I had a grilled chicken wrap and the second time I had one of their new salads. If you look up the food through MFP they have the calorie counts right there for you and neither offering it too bad. They also have an ice cream - 'Ice Dream' it is not actually ice cream I think it is ice milk or something. The kids can trade in their 'prize' and get one for free (or they are 99 cents or something). They are only 170 calories. I usually finish my sons - so it is a nice little treat!

Oh and if you want to introduce some healthy options for the kids - they have grilled chicken nuggets!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My go-to meal at Chick-Fil-A is a side salad and an order of chicken nuggets. I add the chicken to the salad and it's a good combo, and great protein!
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love their grilled chicken sandwich. I just get it without mayo and grab a packet and put a little on myself so I can control how much mayo goes on it. :) Its yum & lower in fat and calories. :)

Neither the original or grilled chicken sandwich come with mayo, so you don't even have to special order it! :)

I usually get the grilled chicken sandwich combo with fruit and diet lemonade. I use a bit of the honey BBQ sauce they usually put in the bag with the grilled chicken.

You can also order an adult grilled chicken nugget meal - it might just take a little longer for them to prepare it but you can get the 8-pack combo grilled rather than deep fried.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you order a sandwich, be sure to say "No butter on the bun." I know they typically add it on the original sandwich, not sure about all the others. You won't even notice the difference without it.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I do a grilled chicken sandwich with none of the sauce and make it a combo with a coke zero and a side salad with the vinagrette, then order a 12piece grilled nuggets so I have a sandwich and a grilled chicken salad - its my go to chick fil a meal

its like 90 grams of protein, 40 carbs and not much fat - plus delish

and the cute redhead at my chickfila usually works the drive thru, which is clearly the real reason i go, just sayin
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love chickfila sauce but its 140 calories a serving so I cant swing that anymore.

That stuff is the best.

I've been getting the new chicken cobb, although be warned the avocado dressing is really high in cal's (comes on the side so swap out if you like). I get the fried chicken on top but you can get grilled too.

They also have a great fruit cup, as many have mentioned.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why dieters make a big deal out of one single meal. Why not just eat whatever you want there and do an hour of cardio to burn it off?

Nothing at a fast food joint is going to be "healthier"; it's just healthier than junk. Just order whatever you fancy, it's not like you're gonna be at a buffet with a gun to your head.