Eating exercise calories or setting realistic calorie intake?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Age: 52, Height: 5'8", Weight: 173. I have a desk job, but I work out (cardio and weights) three times a week and attend two 50 minute cardio classes per week. I'm also active on the weekends--I try to get a hike in when the weather permits. I started dieting about 3-1/2 weeks ago--I'm down nearly 6 pounds, and I just started back to the gym a week ago last Friday.

Congrats! I don't eat back my calories - as soon as I do, I start gaining.

Then chances are you are eating more than you think and/or your exercise calories are way over stated.

Either way, I am steadily losing.

Great but not eating exercise calories at least some of them is like driving a car and never putting gas in it...eventually it's going to just stop.

I didn't say I wasn't eating. You said I'm eating more than I think. Which is it?

Actually you did say you don't eat your exercise calories back because you start gaining...

If you are gaining eating back exercise calories you are eating more than you think...

And

If you don't eat exercise calories back (pending logging accuracy) per the OP it is like driving a car and never putting gas in it and wondering why it won't go....

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Age: 52, Height: 5'8", Weight: 173. I have a desk job, but I work out (cardio and weights) three times a week and attend two 50 minute cardio classes per week. I'm also active on the weekends--I try to get a hike in when the weather permits. I started dieting about 3-1/2 weeks ago--I'm down nearly 6 pounds, and I just started back to the gym a week ago last Friday.

Then chances are you are eating more than you think and/or your exercise calories are way over stated.

Great but not eating exercise calories at least some of them is like driving a car and never putting gas in it...eventually it's going to just stop.

Like you said earlier, she is eating them but doesn't realize it, as she is eating more than she is recording or she would not gain weight when eating them.

Read my post again. I am not gaining weight. I am losing weight. Sheesh.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi all ~ I'd appreciate a little advice from those of you who are more seasoned here. My current caloric intake is set at 1400. Should I eat back my exercise calories or should I use something other than MFP to help set my caloric intake for the day? My BMR is 1435 so I'm not really sure if 1400 calories is realistic for weight loss or if I'm setting myself up for failure by not giving my body what it needs to do its job.

Suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Its up to you - the numbers end up the same (and based on accuracy of logging)

If following MFP then eat your calories plus 50% of the exercise calories that MFP database gives you
    - then judge rate of weight loss across 8 weeks and compare to expectation and adjust the amount of exercise calories

If following TDEE then take a cut from that and overwrite your daily calorie - do not add exercise

^ This

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 (TDEE-20%) everyday regardless if you workout .

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas the TDEE minus way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

Yup

a lot of us use the app and the report on weekly net calories too .. this means you average your calorie intake across the week rather than day to day - it also works .. I can save calories for a night out if I wish or just eat more when I'm hungry or have a craving, if I've already banked them
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Like you said earlier, she is eating them but doesn't realize it, as she is eating more than she is recording or she would not gain weight when eating them.

You said that when you eat the cals back you gain, which if that is the case you are eating more than you think, as by eating them back you should be losing your weekly weight loss goal amount
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

You said that when you eat the cals back you gain, which if that is the case you are eating more than you think, as by eating them back you should be losing your weekly weight loss goal amount

Which is why I'm not eating back my exercise calories, duh!
  • erickirb
    Options

Which is why I'm not eating back my exercise calories, duh!

Our point is you are eating them! You just don't think you are

You are eating more than your MFP target or you would not gain by eating them back.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Keep arguing with yourself. It's good for calorie reduction.
  • erickirb
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello pot, meet kettle
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Hello pot, meet kettle

You are way too young for me. But when I get to my goal weight, I might become a cougar.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Where "eventually" could mean "years from now, even presuming no adjustments are made in the meantime."

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello pot, meet kettle

You are way too young for me. But when I get to my goal weight, I might become a cougar.

*giggle*

you're on a roll today
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Where "eventually" could mean "years from now, even presuming no adjustments are made in the meantime."

no not years from now....you can only go so long exercising before you feel the effects of not getting in enough calories...

I am speaking from experience...before I came here I did the 17 day diet...1200 calories a day max and when I tried to do an hour of exercise...I was dizzy, exhausted and just couldn't keep up the way I had when eating enough...

Even now if i don't get in enough food on a weekend my exercise suffers Monday and Tuesday...it's quite noticeable for me anyway...
  • DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options

no not years from now....you can only go so long exercising before you feel the effects of not getting in enough calories...

I am speaking from experience...before I came here I did the 17 day diet...1200 calories a day max and when I tried to do an hour of exercise...I was dizzy, exhausted and just couldn't keep up the way I had when eating enough...

Even now if i don't get in enough food on a weekend my exercise suffers Monday and Tuesday...it's quite noticeable for me anyway...
    I haven't eaten back exercise calories in the year I've been losing weight. My TDEE is, apparently, 3136 and I am eating 1780 (averaged over the week). So "so long" can mean "more than a year from now."

I am also speaking from experience. I've lost over 100 pounds in less than half the time of the weight loss tiers repeatedly "suggested" here. This is because I eat at a higher deficit and because I don't eat back exercise calories.
  • erickirb
    Options

I haven't eaten back exercise calories in the year I've been losing weight. My TDEE is, apparently, 3136 and I am eating 1780 (averaged over the week). So "so long" can mean "more than a year from now."

I am also speaking from experience. I've lost over 100 pounds in less than half the time of the weight loss tiers repeatedly "suggested" here. This is because I eat at a higher deficit and because I don't eat back exercise calories.

which also means there is a good chance that a large portion of your weight loss is coming from muscle. the larger the deficit the more likely a higher amount of muscle will be lost. that said if you have 100+ lbs to lose you can aim for more than 2 lbs/week and be fine, but the less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be to avoid losing a lot of lean muscle, as I am guessing you want to lose fat, not just weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

which also means there is a good chance that a large portion of your weight loss is coming from muscle. the larger the deficit the more likely a higher amount of muscle will be lost. that said if you have 100+ lbs to lose you can aim for more than 2 lbs/week and be fine, but the less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be to avoid losing a lot of lean muscle, as I am guessing you want to lose fat, not just weight.
    Depends on how you want to define "large portion," but I don't think that's the case.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my calories back and have my weight loss set for 1/2 pound a week and am losing a pound a week. I'm a big fan of eating as much as possible while still losing weight.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Depends on how you want to define "large portion," but I don't think that's the case.

for me a large portion would be anything over 25%...but with the amount you had to lose you probably could sustain it for a bit longer than I or Erickirb could...but the more you lose the lower the deficit should be...

Keeping in mind too that my TDEE in the warmer months is close to 2500-2600 and if I don't eat at last 2200 I can't exercise the way I want.

As well what sort of exercise are you doing? Heavy lifting? walking? running? long hard bike rides...

@1200 calories I could walk just fine as long as I didn't push it too hard...now that I eat enough I can push it very hard and feel fab afterwards instead of drained, exhausted and dizzy and sick.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I eat all of my calories back and have my weight loss set for 1/2 pound a week and am losing a pound a week. I'm a big fan of eating as much as possible while still losing weight.

You sound like me. I am sure I am underestimating my burn but I set my goal to lose 1 lb. a week so I can have wiggle room. In the last 16 months I have lost an average of 1.4 lb a week. I eat back an average of 50% of my calories.